Becton winter athletics continues successful season

Senior members of the wrestling team and Coach Settembrino are ready for the 2016-2017 season.

Jana Christiano and Jessica Coleman

The Becton Regional High School winter athletic program has many highlights for the 2016-2017 season. 

Mr. Settembrino and his wrestlers have had many accomplishments with seniors Louis Pontier, Phil Ruiz, Jordan Colon, Joseph Lesho, Junior Anthony Thomas, and Freshman Michael Rodriguez placing in the county quarter finals, and as a team, placing in the state tournament.

Being their record is 8-10, Coach Settembrino said their record “does not match how strong his players can be”. He explained that there is a lack of experience on the team this year.

“It’s been a tough season. There have been key injuries and lack of depth,” said Coach Settembrino.

Moreover, the bowling team, led by Coach Mr. Cantatore, has a record of 76-36 with 11 wins and 5 losses. The team is led by Sophomore Trevor Delantis and seniors Andrew Park, Robert Emorz, and Kyle Post.

“We only lost by three pins, but we won one out of the three games,” said Coach Cantatore regarding the Becton versus Lyndhurst game.

The bowling coach explained that Trevor is one of his key bowlers.

Moving on, girls’ basketball is currently third in the conference with a 9-4 record, 12-9 overall. “After losing a few tough games, we won our last 4 in a row capped off by a big win over Hasbrouck Heights who beat us pretty badly the first time we played,” said Coach Colombo.

Last but certainly not least, the boys’ basketball team, led by Coach Balaban, has a current winning record of 13-8.

The Becton Boy’s Basketball Team was announced one out of twenty-three teams, out of the fifty-five teams in Bergen County, to qualify for the Bergen County Jamboree. “It was the first time we qualified for the county tournament since the 2008-09 season,” said Coach Balaban.

They also qualified for the NJSIAA North 1, Group 1 state tournament for the first time since 2013-14 and earned a sixth seed in the state tournament.  

Having defeated Wood-Ridge and Hasbrouck Heights in the same week was a big step in their season. “At the time of the Hasbrouck Heights win, which was a double overtime victory, Heights was the number one ranked team in the section and the league,” Coach Balaban added.

About the Writers
Jana Christiano, Staff Writer
Jana Christiano is 16 years old and is a junior at Becton Regional High School. Jana enjoys hanging out with her friends and family during her free time. She has been cheering for 3 years at Becton along with playing softball. She also likes to watch Netflix and go shopping.
Jessica Coleman, Staff Writer
Jessica Coleman is a junior at Becton. She enjoys watching Bob’s Burgers and sleeping. She likes to hangout with friends and her dog. She also enjoys Chipotle very much.
  • Becton winter athletics continues successful season

Sports

Becton’s Anderson breaks second track & field record, Henke places first in hurdles

Sports

Varsity baseball players set strong personal goals, credit coaches for success

Sports

Coach Peck has high hopes for 2018 girls track season

Fall Sports

Junior Nuila to attend volleyball invitational in Australia this summer

Sports

Becton wrestling wraps up with several postseason wins

Sports

Mr. Cantatore to coach boys tennis team

Sports

Junior Henke prepares for track during off-season

Fall Sports

Becton alumnus, Jay Longo, volunteers to coach Becton Football

Sports

Becton Bowling maintains winning record

In Case You Missed It

Freshman Frezzo proves fierce on the mat