Becton winter athletics continues successful season

Senior members of the wrestling team and Coach Settembrino are ready for the 2016-2017 season.

Jana Christiano and Jessica Coleman

The Becton Regional High School winter athletic program has many highlights for the 2016-2017 season. 

Mr. Settembrino and his wrestlers have had many accomplishments with seniors Louis Pontier, Phil Ruiz, Jordan Colon, Joseph Lesho, Junior Anthony Thomas, and Freshman Michael Rodriguez placing in the county quarter finals, and as a team, placing in the state tournament.

Being their record is 8-10, Coach Settembrino said their record “does not match how strong his players can be”. He explained that there is a lack of experience on the team this year.

“It’s been a tough season. There have been key injuries and lack of depth,” said Coach Settembrino.

Moreover, the bowling team, led by Coach Mr. Cantatore, has a record of 76-36 with 11 wins and 5 losses. The team is led by Sophomore Trevor Delantis and seniors Andrew Park, Robert Emorz, and Kyle Post.

“We only lost by three pins, but we won one out of the three games,” said Coach Cantatore regarding the Becton versus Lyndhurst game.

The bowling coach explained that Trevor is one of his key bowlers.

Moving on, girls’ basketball is currently third in the conference with a 9-4 record, 12-9 overall. “After losing a few tough games, we won our last 4 in a row capped off by a big win over Hasbrouck Heights who beat us pretty badly the first time we played,” said Coach Colombo.

Last but certainly not least, the boys’ basketball team, led by Coach Balaban, has a current winning record of 13-8.

The Becton Boy’s Basketball Team was announced one out of twenty-three teams, out of the fifty-five teams in Bergen County, to qualify for the Bergen County Jamboree. “It was the first time we qualified for the county tournament since the 2008-09 season,” said Coach Balaban.

They also qualified for the NJSIAA North 1, Group 1 state tournament for the first time since 2013-14 and earned a sixth seed in the state tournament.  

Having defeated Wood-Ridge and Hasbrouck Heights in the same week was a big step in their season. “At the time of the Hasbrouck Heights win, which was a double overtime victory, Heights was the number one ranked team in the section and the league,” Coach Balaban added.

• Becton winter athletics continues successful season

Sports

Junior Anderson breaks 1995 school discus record

Sports

Rutgers Football recruits Junior Greg Anderson

Sports

Softball coach anticipates successful season

Sports

Boys’ tennis team ‘significantly improves’ from last season

Sports

Girls’ basketball coaches have high hopes for upcoming season

Sports

Mr. Cantatore becomes bowling coach for 2016-2017 season

Sports

Coach Sett has high hopes for upcoming wrestling season

Fall Sports

Girls’ soccer team wins NJIC Meadowlands Conference; earns first soccer banner

Fall Sports

Pontier, Anderson named Homecoming King and Queen

Fall Sports

Becton Girls’ Soccer starts off on the right foot