The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Gabriella O’Hare Accomplishes 100 Hits

Who says lightning can’t strike twice in the same place? Another one of Becton’s athletes has reached a milestone! Becton Softball Captain, Gabriella O’Hare, has reached her 100th career hit!

O’Hare has been playing softball since she was 5 years old in this very community. As she grew, she began playing travel and club softball at 10-years-old. She traveled with NJ Fight, Tsunami, Sparks, Dragons and Kaboom. “Most of my teams were around the Sparta area. Practice was everyday and I would go right after school to practice,” O’Hare explains. As for the future of her career, O’Hare plans to continue playing softball in college on Ramapo’s travel team, and to also start coaching younger athletes within the community. 

Throughout her high school career, O’Hare started off being a designated hitter her freshman and sophomore years to then starting at 1B her junior and senior years. Head coach, Coach Coffaro, shares his excitement for O’Hares big accomplishment, “I was excited coming into this year, especially knowing that Gabby was close to 100 hits. It’s a tremendous accomplishment for her. I knew she would reach that goal… the question was when she would. In my 5 years as Head Coach at Becton, she is the 3rd player to reach the mark of 100 hits! I am proud of her.”

O’Hare’s teammates also share in the excitement of Gabby’s accomplishment, explaining the impact she has on the team. Junior starter, Francesca Buda, comments, “I am excited for Gabby to be one of the few in Becton to achieve this. Gabby helps get things going offensively.. she gets the dugout energy up! As a defensive player, she scoops up anything that comes her way!”

Gabby and the softball team celebrating her 100th hit!

Coach Coffaro continues, “Gabby has come a long way since her freshman year. She was selected All-League, 1st Team last year and most likely will be selected again this season. She has been a valuable piece for our team and will be missed when she graduates.” 

O’Hare touches on her reaction to her 100th hit, “I felt excited and happy for myself. It was something I always wanted to accomplish since my freshman year on varsity. My parents and coaches inspired me to reach this goal. Although my dad was not here for my junior and senior years, his voice and advice always linger in my mind especially when it comes to softball. He’s always told me to keep pushing no matter what. And that is exactly what I did.” 

Gabriella leaves these words to underclassmen wanting to attain this goal, “Stay calm, focus and just have fun! Think positively and remind yourself you know you can do it!”

Congratulations Gabriella O’Hare!