The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Mrs. Caryn French is Becton’s 2023-2024 Educational Service Professional

Mrs. Caryn French is Becton’s 2023-2024 recipient of the Educational Service Professional award. Mrs. French has been our Athletic Trainer for 11 years, tirelessly dedicating the majority of her time to our students at any given moment. As a reward for her passion and love for the community of Becton, Mrs. French has attested that she is, “honored to be chosen for the Educational Service Professional award by colleagues and community members.” The job of the Athletic Trainer is to assist students with their sports-related troubles, warranting Mrs. French being present during school hours, club activities, sporting events, and practices. She is responsible for assiting injuries and for the rehabilitation of our athletes.

Since day one, Mrs. French has felt that nurturing and assisting students even beyond their physical condition has been a priority. Senior Samantha Joseph, a student who interned with Mrs. French, describes her disposition, “No matter who walks in her office, she is always so energetic. Even if it is a small problem, she’s willing to talk them through it and help them with whatever it is.” This outlook goes for all students who come into Mrs. French’s office, as another student shares their experience, “I remember going to her feeling like my wrestling career was over, feeling hopeless, and she expressed that she had a similar injury to mine. She kept me optimistic. I always see her with other students being really personable, and with her type of job, being kind and polite is half the battle.”

It is not just students who express their experience and fondness of Mrs. French. Ms. Annette Giancaspro, our Athletic Director and Supervisor of Athletics & Extracurricular Activities & Physical Education, describes Ms. French perfectly, “Her impact goes beyond the physical aspect of sports. She serves as a mentor and role model for our student athletes, instilling values of discipline, and teamwork.” Ms. Giancaspro compliments Mrs. French’s work-ethic and dedication, attesting to her working long hours after school and placing the priorities and needs of students first and foremost. Ms. Giancaspro leaves behind kind words to our ESP– “Thank you for your tireless efforts and for the difference you make in the lives of our student athletes. Congratulations on being recognized as ESP of the Year!”

Mrs. French announcing her pregnancy to the softball team!

Another close colleague, and ultimately friend, of Mrs. French’s is our nurse, Mrs. Alyssa Cantatore. She gives insight into Mrs. French’s schedule, which extends significantly outside of school hours and is dissimilar to the rest of the Becton staff. Mrs. French starts her work in August, preparing for the fall season, and keeps up with parents and coaches no matter what time of the year it is. Mrs. Cantatore also shares her perception of Mrs. French and her relationship with the students, “The interactions with Mrs. French mean a lot to our students. I witnessed them arrive eager to check in with her, and I can see their disappointment when she isn’t available!”

Mr. Jack Maher, Becton’s football coach, is another staff member who works alongside Mrs. French frequently. Her contribution to the team includes attending all practices, tending to injuries, making sure students are prepared to play and working with the team doctor to double check all of these factors. He, lastly, was unhesitantly jovial for Mrs. French and was glad that she is being recognized for her hard work.

After 11 years at Becton, Mrs. French’s outlook on life is as follows: “I have learned to not take life too seriously and to always find the good in any situation. Laughter and a listening ear can help heal in many ways and sometimes that’s all someone needs. I strive to be there for our athletes in more ways than the onlooker may see.”

Mrs. French is an unstoppable force within our Becton community, bringing positivity and ease, yet discipline, to Becton athletes. She has proven to be a large part of the reason why our athletes succeed. Congratulations to Mrs. Caryn French!