The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Congratulations to Becton’s 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year: Ms. Calasso

Science Teacher, Environmental Club Advisor, Sophomore / Freshman Class Advisor and Co-Junior Class Advisor, Angela Calasso, has been named 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year! 

Ms. Calasso shares her gratitude for the newly earned title of Teacher of the Year, “I feel so honored, humbled, and blessed to be awarded Teacher of the Year. It feels like a culmination of my hard work and efforts. As a first-generation college student, I’ve experienced unique obstacles and challenges throughout my journey to becoming a teacher.”

The Teacher of the Year is a prestigious award given each year to a teacher. To be selected for Teacher of the Year, one must have the following criteria:

• Serves as an exceptionally skilled and dedicated educator in a public or charter school
  • Inspires students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn
  • Demonstrates leadership and innovation in and outside the classroom
  • Has the respect and admiration of students, parents, and administration

There is no doubt that Ms. Calasso is the ideal embodiment of all of these characteristics. Ms. Calasso has been a teacher for four years at Becton Regional. Her schedule consists of  three classes of Biology, two Honors Biology, and one AP Environmental Science course. She has been the Club Advisor of the Environmental Club since she first started teaching here. She shared insight on how prior Environmental Club Advisor, Gina Annitti, showed her the ins-and-outs of running Environmental Club. Soon after, Ms. Calasso quickly took a liking to the club and became as active as she could in advising the club. Now, the Environmental Club has become one of the most populated clubs. This club has had the opportunity to collaborate with many other clubs including Key Club, NHS, Paw Club, World Languages, Art Images, and more. Ms. Calasso has also has been the Freshmen and Sophomore Class advisor for three years, however, this is her first year co-advising the Junior Class.

Ms. Calasso’s students experimenting with algae?. #HonorsBiology designed & presented research-based algae products- #SharkTank style?

As a teacher, Ms. Calasso encourages “students to ask questions and to seek an understanding of the world around them.” Ms. Calasso continues, “Having an inquiring mind and developing a critical lens are essential life skills that I hope to cultivate for students in my classes. Additionally, my goal is for students to feel a sense of community and belonging in my classroom.” She notes the most memorable moments in and out of the classroom being when students take the initiative on a project or activity, “It always makes me so proud to see my students applying their knowledge and using their creativity to make a positive impact at Becton and in our community.”

Senior Elif Aydogan, who has Ms. Calasso as a teacher for AP Environmental, testifies by saying, “Her unmatched passion, dedication, and inclusive teaching methods are driving factors that earn her the respect and title of Teacher of the Year. She sparks genuine interest in her students, provides individualized support, fosters a positive classroom environment, seeks continuous professional development, and goes above through extracurricular activities!” 

Ms. Calasso reveals what she wants to leave behind as a teacher, “The legacy I want to leave is a culture of care, competence, and capability. I want students to enter and leave Becton feeling truly cared for by staff and faculty, competent in their academics and skills, and capable of making a positive impact on our community and the world. I also would like to cultivate an appreciation of the sciences and encourage everyone to explore natural phenomena: science is all around and within us.” 

Calasso expresses her appreciation, “I am very thankful to be surrounded by such inspirational and supportive people. I admire the positivity of our school leaders, Dr.Sforza, Mr. Bononno, and Mrs. Colangelo. I always feel encouraged by my supervisors, mentors, and colleagues, and I am constantly motivated by my students. The students and staff here at Becton are exceptional, resilient, and dynamic. I am proud to be a wildcat!”

Congratulations to none other than Becton’s 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year, Ms. Angela Calasso! 

To stay up to date with what Ms. Calasso is doing in the classroom, follow her X account @Ms_Calasso and Instagram: @classwithcalasso.