The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

May Student of the Month: Taisha Manrique

Becton Regional High School recognizes Taisha Manrique as May’s Student of the Month! 

An admirable approach for a high school student, Manrique found it important to maintain a schedule she knew she would be able to excel through, taking classes that would benefit and strengthen her skills. Additionally, as a perfectionist, Manrique guarantees that everything she does is done to the best of her abilities and pays attention to even the smallest details. Nonetheless, Manrique finds that hard work comes naturally to her and finds it easy to keep a balance between schoolwork and home, which is a daunting task for many. 

During Manrique’s time year here at Becton, she mentions that she was involved in a number of clubs such as the Wellness Club, Multicultural Club, and the Environmental Club. She also did a lot of volunteer work with the prom committee and currently manages the school store. 

Taisha and her friends at Prom 2024!

While not at school, Manrique uses her spare time to do activities that she enjoys, like exercising, doing yoga or watching her favorite shows. She adds that she also enjoys journaling because it helps to “clear her mind” when she’s unable to express her feelings verbally. “I have a hard time expressing my words with others,” she comments. “Writing it helps clear my mind, like rewinding, going through what I did throughout the day.”

After her graduation this year, Manrique plans on attending the Rutgers Newark Business School with a major in Business Administration. As for after college, she aspires to become a CEO of a company, and maybe even open up a business of her own based on self-care. 

Manrique is described as “pleasant,” “a great student,” and “kind to all of her peers,” by her former English teacher, Mrs. Scalera. As also noted by Mrs. Scalera, Manrique worked hard to maintain her grades even during the 2020 pandemic during her freshman year.  She adds, “Even [after] not having her for the past few years, she still says hello every day. She always has a smile on her face,” Mrs. Scalera indulges. 

Becton math teacher, Mr. Mendelsohn, also shares, Manrique is an “intelligent, responsible, and dependable young woman” who always has a “positive attitude and willingness to help others.” He notes that Manrique is an excellent role model and student who has always excelled in his classes, going above and beyond in everything she does.

To anyone who hopes to be Student of the Month in the future, Manrique advises, “Don’t try too hard! Even if you didn’t take any honors, just be a nice person. Do your work,” she affirms. “You don’t have to be a superstar, top-five student. That’s not who I am, and you can succeed without doing it.” As a believer in genuine efforts, Manrique says the key to being Student of the Month is to “just be kind.”

Congratulations Taisha on earning May’s Student of the Month!