The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

March Student of the Month: Gabrielle Szymski

Becton Regional High School is proud to announce Gabrielle Szymski as March Student of the Month.  

Szymski has been working towards this goal since her freshman year, she apprises, and is both grateful and honored to achieve something where “all the hard work has paid off and that my efforts haven’t gone unnoticed.” 

Mr. Michael Lind, Szymski’s Chemistry Honors and AP Chemistry teacher goes into depth of Szymski’s growth throughout her time in high school, “During my first year of teaching, Gabrielle came into my class very quiet and kept to herself. As the year went on, she came out of her shell more and more each day. As her sophomore year came to an end, Gabrielle became the person everyone knows and looks to for guidance. The following year she entered the newly returned AP Chemistry class and continued to impress the entire class in addition to turning in exceptional work.” 

Alongside her classes, Szymski participates in multiple clubs and extracurriculars. She is a part of the Girl’s Helping Girls Club, PAW Club, and Philosophy Club. Alongside this, she is part of the National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta and the Spanish Honor Society. Finally, Szymski is also in the Internship Program at Becton and has been placed in HB Pharmacy.

A photo from Gabrielle’s internship at HB Pharmacy, making compounds in the lab!

“Gabrielle has one of the most outstanding work ethics I have ever seen. Everyday in class, she consistently wants to learn more and continuously asks insightful questions to gather a better understanding of the topic at hand,” Mr. Lind added. 

Szymski prioritizes her balance between academics and personal life. “Managing the classes themselves isn’t too difficult, it’s managing classes along with two part time jobs that gets challenging at times. Time management is key and to prevent lost time I stay off my phone as much as possible and just try to get everything done without procrastinating too much.” 

In her spare time, she likes to play the piano. “I’ve been playing piano since I was seven and music has always been a huge part of my life. Although finding the time is difficult, I try not to put things off too much in order to maximize the time I do have,” Szymski explained. 

After her graduation this year, Szymski aspires to go to college for chemical engineering. As she has not narrowed down exactly what area she will focus on, she will most likely do work along the lines of drug development.

“I cannot wait to see what she is going to accomplish. She embodies who a honors and AP student is and excels in it. Gabrielle will be successful in any field she chooses because of her drive and passion to be the best,” Mr. Lind concludes.  

With Szymski accomplishing something as great as Student of the Month, she advises, “Just give it your all. Always put your best foot forward and do not get discouraged when things get difficult. Your teachers are always there to help you when you need it. But, do not overwork yourself too much and find time for yourself when possible!”

Congratulations, Gabrielle– March Student of the Month!