The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Veronica Isky: Bergen County’s Unsung Hero

Veronica+and+her+supporters%3A+mom%2C+teachers+Mrs.+Oram%2C+Ms.+Ryan%2C+and+Mrs.+Failla%2C+and+Vice+Principal%2C+Mrs.+Colangelo%2C+and+Principal%2C+Mr.+Bononno.+
Veronica and her supporters: mom, teachers Mrs. Oram, Ms. Ryan, and Mrs. Failla, and Vice Principal, Mrs. Colangelo, and Principal, Mr. Bononno.

On March 5, 2024, the Bergen County NJSBA Unsung Hero Award ceremony was held right here at Becton. The award considers 77 constituent school districts in Bergen County. The award highlights people who make their school a better place because of their warm personality, empathy, and concern for others. This past ceremony our own Veronica Isky was nominated and selected to win the award for Student Unsung Hero!

Isky’s teacher and coach, Ms. Jessica Ryan, emphasized that Isky’s nomination was a result of her ambition to stand out and advocate for her peers. Additionally, Isky’s involvement in school plays, Student Council, Unified Special Olympics Club, PAW Club and achievements in Varsity Cheerleading where she earned the title of “Wildcat of the Year,” and her role as Prom Princess, highlight her excellence and dedication to her school community.

Isky’s story serves as an inspiration to others, proving that limitations do not prevent someone from enjoying high school and making a meaningful difference. She is even involved in Student Council meetings– advocating for fairness and visibility for all students within the Becton community. Ms. Ryan reflected on Isky’s growth over the years, referencing her exceptional growth in confidence and involvement.

Isky expressed her surprise at winning the award, making note of her journey of personal growth and the support she has received from her parents and teachers. When asked about her advice for fellow students, Veronica stressed the importance of passion, urging others to pursue their dreams with determination and enthusiasm. 

Becton’s Vice Principal, Mrs. Amanda Colangelo, underscored the Unsung Hero Award’s significance, highlighting its role in recognizing students who make outstanding contributions to their schools and communities. The event provided a platform to showcase the remarkable stories of inspirational students who have overcome challenges and obstacles. Isky’s win filled the room with a sense of pride, impacting everyone present. She emphasized Isky’s award as a testament to resilience and determination, inspiring everyone to overcome adversity and pursue their dreams with their entire heart.

Veronica Isky’s journey to becoming an Unsung Hero is inspirational, reminding us all of the transformative power of empathy, dedication, and perseverance.