The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Becton Holds Informational Assembly for the Career Exploration Internship Program

A+few+of+this+years+student-interns%21+
A few of this year’s student-interns!

On Feb. 23, 2024, Becton Regional High School held an informational assembly for all juniors to introduce our Career Exploration Program. The event featured guest speaker, Zuzanna Góźdź, a former student at Becton who participated in the Career Exploration Internship Program and has now entered into the professional world. This program is designed to provide high school seniors with immersive experiences in their fields of interest, and provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary for success.

To participate in the internship program, students must apply and demonstrate academic excellence, strong character and a passion for their chosen field. Once accepted, interns have the opportunity to work alongside professionals, gaining firsthand experience into their prospective careers.

Zuzanna Góźdź, a former intern at Holy Name Hospital, shared her experience with the audience. As a volunteer at Holy Name, Zuzanna’s daily responsibilities ranged from assisting staff members to comforting patients and their families. Through her internship, she gained invaluable insights into the realities of nursing– she remarked that it is not all the glamour often associated with the profession portrayed in the media.

Zuzanna during her internship at Holy Name.

“During my internship, I enjoyed learning and seeing what the lives of nurses really looked like,” Zuzanna reflected. “It was fascinating and educational for me to observe how they work together and help those in need. I also loved making friends with everyone at Holy Name.”

Reflecting on her internship’s impact on her career, Zuzanna remarked, “I am currently a first-year nursing student at Montclair (State University), so I can confidently say that watching the nurses at Holy Name helped me tremendously. Working with the nurses at Holy Name showed me that this is what I want to do in the future.”

Encouraging students to participate in the internship program, Zuzanna emphasized how helpful it can be for students to make informed decisions about their future careers. “It’s a great program for you to find something that you might want to do in the future,” she remarked. “Either way, it’s a very enjoyable experience and a great way to learn new skills and meet new people. Everyone will be jealous that you got the opportunity to participate in the internship program!”

Joshua Vazquez creating 3D models in Revit from point cloud scans, gaining knowledge and skills for their future engineer careers.

Mrs. Gina Annitti, program coordinator, validated Zuzanna’s sentiments, encouraging students to use this opportunity for personal and professional growth. “Students should be encouraged to apply to the internship program and excited about the opportunity,” she explained. “A student who is an ideal candidate for the internship program is very responsible, self-motivated, open-minded, positive, mature and trustworthy.”

Current Seniors taking the Career Exploration Internship Program have shared their input regarding their current internship. Senior Giuliana Diaz interns at SportsCare located YMCA in East Rutherford. She shares her interest in choosing a career path in physical therapy, “I have always loved the idea of exercising and helping others. I have gone to physical therapy for two years for numerous reasons and I have been fascinated with it from then on. I enjoy internship with my mentor, aid, and receptionist. My mentor, Todd, asks me questions on different topics and works with me to help understand why certain muscles or body parts function the way that they do. I help record flow sheets which have the exercises the patients need to complete, clean the tables, set up exercises with the help of the aid, Mark. Erin, the receptionist, teaches me how to make appointments, mark down the patient’s attendance, etc.”

Perea-Ortega exploring the cosmetology field observing cuts, color, and styles!

Senior Daisy Perea-Ortega interns at Studio G in East Rutherford in hopes of learning more about becoming a hair-dresser. She expresses. “My internship is so lovely– especially the people who I work with. We have become so close with one another, but not only that, I have learned so many tips and tricks in the cosmetology world and life lessons too. Even though I enjoyed my time at the salon for internship, it helped me realize it would be more of my backup option, than become my occupation.”

Senior Isabella Ocasio interns at Baker Health, she wanted to do a nursing internship to see the real experiences of healthcare workers. “I will be majoring in nursing starting next next year so this internship helped me jump-start my future career goals. It has also given me the opportunity to start networking. Baker’s Health is a teaching practice so I am surrounded by many doctors, medical assistants, and nurses that are still in their practice.”

Senior Victoria Hernandez Garcia joined the program to discover more about what working in the medical field would be like. She interns at Mountainside Medical Center in Montclair. She reveals how she wanted to be a labor and delivery nurse, but as she was able to get more exposure in what life could be like in this profession, she realized that although nursing might not be for her, she still wants to remain in the medical field. Hernandez Garcia states, “While, I thought nursing would be for me, my internship has immensely helped me out on my journey. All of the staff have been wonderful, making it a positive experience. I look forward to coming each day. I am thankful to have joined this program, which has saved me time and money.”

The Career Exploration Internship Program at Becton High School is a great opportunity, guiding students toward a career path they will do well in and enjoy. For more information about the program, students are encouraged to visit the school website, contact Mrs. Annitti directly, and follow our Becton student’s internship journeys on X: HERE!