The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Becton Congratulates Honor Society Inductees in First Ever Joint Ceremony

Honor Society Presidents on the PAC stage alongside their advisors.

On May 6, 2024 the first ever combined Honor Society induction ceremony was held at Henry P. Becton Regional High School. The event took place in the J.W Performing Arts Center honoring the students on all of their academic achievements in Spanish, Italian, Math, and newly founded societies, English and History.

The combined ceremony allowed for an efficient way to congratulate the honors students as many are members of multiple, or even all of the societies. The hour-long ceremony presented each society member with a certificate and medal or pin for each to wear at their graduation. During induction, new members recite the pledge that they will adhere to the principles of their Society. It is a formal and exciting event, signifying high academic achievement and service to the community.

All of the honor societies have strict criteria regarding induction into each society. While individual grades and overall GPA play a major role, extracurriculars, course rigor and even essays contribute to the students’ chance at being inducted. For this reason, all honor societies at Becton Regional are reserved for Junior and Seniors as they have at least 3 years of experience, community service and academic rigor.

The new English and History honor societies founded this year have created new opportunities for students to grow their school community outreach through their positive achievements in academics.

English Honor Society co-advisor, Dr. DeSousa, announcing his speech.

The English honor society, advised by Dr. Bryan DeSousa and Mrs. Catherine Valente, has held multiple fundraisers throughout the school year and is planning to continue its efforts through a book drive started this May. Dr. DeSousa looks forward to the growth of the honor society, explaining, “I hope we can provide our members with unique learning opportunities that enrich their Becton experience, whether that be college visits, fundraisers, field trips or going to performances.”

Dr. DeSousa and Mrs. Valente, along with the members of the English Honor Society, are working hard both inside and outside of the classroom aiming to engage students in the area of English. They have strong plans for next year’s agenda, making mention of more school activities and even trips to the NJPAC to enjoy literature through the theater.

The History Honor Society, founded this Spring, is also looking forward to building an immersive academic community inside and outside of Becton Regional. Advisor, Dr. Daniel Farina, expresses that one of the main goals of the History Honor Society is to enhance the appreciation for history and, “provide opportunities to examine history from different perspectives and enable one to gain a better understanding of various peoples and cultures.”

Although newly founded, the History Honor Society has wasted no time in giving back to the community. Events such as writing thank you cards to the families of service members and the commemoration of the 80th Anniversary of D-Day with a charity faculty jean day, are a few examples of the hard work and eagerness to give back through the History Honor Society.

Dr. Farina explains his excitement for the first ever Rho Kappa Chapter at Becton, highlighting the importance of students’ role within the society, “The vision of this organization can’t be mine. It has to be that of the members and can only be achieved through hard work and collective effort.”

The Spanish Honor Society, advised by Seniora Debbie Sanchez, and the Italian Honor Society, advised by Mrs. Paola Bonanno, are reserved for students with high GPAs in both Spanish 3 and Spanish 4 honors, or Italian 3 and Italian 4 honors. These dedicated inductees are highly proficient in the language and are immersed in the great culture that comes with studying Spanish or Italian! Member duties include helping out within the Becton community by peer-tutoring those who need help with the basics of the Spanish or Italian languages.

Seniora Debbie Sanchez shares her experiences with the first ever combined induction ceremony. Adapting to the new ceremony style, Mrs. Sanchez embraces the idea with an open mind and explains that she likes the new ceremony style as it shows the same individual can excel in different disciplines.

Students getting inducted!

Seniora Sanchez notes that being inducted into the Spanish Honor Society allows students to feel more connected to Spanish culture. Looking to the future, Mrs. Sanchez has nothing but optimism for Becton’s foreign language department, stating, “I would like to see the interest for the studying of any foreign language grow. I expect many more students to join the Spanish or Italian classes and to continue to promote and appreciate all cultures that coexist in our ever-changing world!”

Last but not least, Math Honor Society inductees also made an appearance at the combined ceremony. Math Honor Society, similar to the other societies, is based on character in combination with academic excellence. One of the biggest ways that Math Honor Society gives back to the community is through the annual Pi Day celebration. This engaging event allows the school community to learn more about how math is incorporated into our everyday lives in a fun and interactive way!

The combined honor society ceremony was a testament to the dedication and excellence of students across multiple subjects. The evening was filled with inspiring speeches, heartfelt congratulations, and a sense of pride that showcases the importance of education. The induction ceremony and achievement of all inductees serves as an example for future students– exemplifying that with hard work, passion and a commitment to excellence, we can achieve great feats!

Congratulations to all 2024 English, Math, History, Italian and Spanish Honor Society inductees!