Coach Balaban prepares for 2017-2018 basketball season

"My primary goal for the boys basketball program is for it to continue to grow and develop," said Head Boys Basketball Coach Mr. Balaban.

Brandon Vargas, Staff Writer

This year’s boys basketball interest meeting, which was held by Head Varsity Coach Mr. Balaban, was comprised of an estimated 40 to 50 Becton students.

“The basketball interest meeting illustrated in a very clear manner that the program is growing and student athletes are excited about the prospects of being part of another successful basketball season,” said Coach Balaban.

At the meeting, the head basketball coach introduced the new Junior Varsity coach, Mr. Marshall. “Coach Marshall is an excellent addition to the coaching staff. He has a long-term basketball background, worked as a volunteer coach for two seasons and is very enthusiastic about working towards a successful season,” he said.

“My primary goal for the boys basketball program is for it to continue to grow and develop. Last season, the varsity team quadrupled its win total from the previous season, qualified for the Bergen County Jamboree for the first time in nearly a decade and advanced to the semifinal round of the NJSIAA state sectional tournament.  The goal for this season is to work hard every day and take the steps necessary to be successful,” said Coach Balaban.

Before the basketball season even begins this year, the Becton varsity coach oversaw a fall league team for all interested players. “The fall league is a great way for players to develop skills, gain in-game conditioning and compete against teams that they will not play during the regular season,” he said.

In the meantime, Coach Balaban also had the opportunity to work with National Basketball Hall of Fame Coach, Bob Hurley, at his invite-only workouts in Jersey City. Furthermore, after being invited, he attended a Division I basketball practice at the University of South Carolina, a team that reached the NCAA Final Four last season.  Last but certainly not least, the coach worked alongside college coaches at the College Prospect Camp held at Montclair State University.

As far as earning a banner this year, the basketball coach stated that goals are achieved through hard work, dedication, and a commitment to outworking all competition.

He will also continue to emphasize the importance of defense, rebounding, communication, preparation, teamwork and attention to detail to all of his players this season.

• Coach Balaban prepares for 2017-2018 basketball season

Sports

Varsity baseball players set strong personal goals, credit coaches for success

Sports

Coach Peck has high hopes for 2018 girls track season

Fall Sports

Junior Nuila to attend volleyball invitational in Australia this summer

Sports

Becton wrestling wraps up with several postseason wins

Sports

Mr. Cantatore to coach boys tennis team

Sports

Junior Henke prepares for track during off-season

Fall Sports

Becton alumnus, Jay Longo, volunteers to coach Becton Football

Sports

Becton Bowling maintains winning record

In Case You Missed It

Freshman Frezzo proves fierce on the mat

Fall Sports

Senior Kuc recognized for his soccer skills

Translate »