The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Road to Super Bowl LVIII

https://people.com
Travis Kelce after winning the 2024 Super Bowl.

This season of the NFL has been a roller-coaster ride. Many unexpected turns have happened this year from the start of the season till now, such as the Kelce-Swift relationship, the Super Bowl conspiracies and, of course, the Chiefs going back-to-back in Super Bowl wins. This season was definitely one to remember.

On Sunday, Jan. 28, the Conference Championship decided who would move to the final game of the season: Super Bowl LVIII. Battling against one another were the 49er’s and Lions in a close match. In the end, San Francisco was able to come back, after being down by 17 at halftime. Unfortunately, for many Lions fans, it was a disappointing night. Becton sophomore, Danny Wallner, was rooting for the underdogs, “The Detroit Lions are the team I wanted to make the Super Bowl. They are my favorite team and have not even made it to one Super Bowl!” In fact, 42% of Becton students and faculty were rooting for the Lions to make the Super Bowl.

Faculty member Giancarlo Quesada shared his insight on who he thought should have made the Super Bowl, “It was either between the Lions and the Chargers for me. I have been saying for years that the Chargers have been sleepers, even when they had Rivers or Gates. Now they have Harbaugh! I think they will be in the Super Bowl within the next 3-4 years. As far as the Lions, they kind of beat themselves by going for it on 4th down twice, when they could have went into OT or even won the game. Nonetheless, their season will be remembered.”

On Sunday, Jan. 28, in the AFC Championship, we saw the reigning Super Bowl champs, the Chiefs, go against the NFL’s toughest defense, the Ravens; however, the Chiefs were able to have control over the game and ended up winning and moving on to face the 49er’s with a final score of 17 – 10.

The very next weekend, from Feb. 1-4, was the Pro Bowl. This is where some of the NFL’s best players are selected to compete in various position-based challenges and see which conference has the better players. In the final flag football game to close off the weekend, two retired quarterbacks and brothers, Eli and Peyton Manning faced off against each other and younger brother, Eli, was able to come out on top and beat Peyton.

Pro Bowl flag football finals, star wide-receiver Tyreek Hill, evading defenders. Source: https://chicago.suntimes.com

Students and staff of Becton were eager to see their favorite players in the Pro Bowl– Wallner shares, “My favorite player playing in the Pro Bowl was Sam Laporta. A tight end as a rookie making the Pro Bowl is very hard to do and is very impressive. He has so much potential in this league and he has showed out this season!”

Quesada shares, “My favorite is between Micah Parsons, because he played for Penn State, and he’s done a lot for them and their team, and Puka Nacua from the Rams because he has elite talent. I only started following Nacua this year and drafted him in fantasy. He put up insane numbers and I cannot wait to see what he has in store for the rest of his career.” More Becton members’ responses ranged from Harrison Butker to CJ Stroud to Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner.

On Feb. 8, the Super Bowl festivities began with the NFL Honors. Here, players are rewarded for their on and off the field performances. The highest of the awards is the AP MVP. This award goes to either an offensive or defensive player who performed above and beyond this season and is voted in by the public.

Lamar Jackson holds his NFL Honors League MVP Award. Source: https://www.cbssports.com

The winner this year was Ravens quarterback, Lamar Jackson, who greatly contributed to the Ravens making it to the AFC Championship. Many staff and students were not surprised with the results considering 42% of Becton voted Jackson as deserving of the award.

“I think this question is a very clear answer, it is Lamar Jackson,” Wallner gives his opinion, “He has been so impressive this year even though he had didn’t perform in the AFC Championship game… he still deserves most valuable player.”

When predicting who would hold the Super Bowl winning title, the overwhelming answer from the Becton community surveyed was that the 49er’s would take it home. Senior Anthony Szperlak reasoned, “They have been playing well all season and have a lot of great players.” Faculty member Mr. Michael Lind felt that they would win because the 49er’s have “better defense and more potent offense.” Quesada echoes, “I feel like the Niners are deserving more of the win– to not only make the rivalry exciting, but to get it after their Super Bowl loss years ago.”

Nonetheless, many students give credit to the Chiefs in their predictions, “I think that these teams face off well with each other, but I can’t see that powerful 49er’s offense losing, but I am very impressed with the Chiefs defense,” Wallner stated. Similarly, Mrs. Kathryn Scalera shared, “The Chiefs have the momentum to win the whole thing.”

A photo from the moment the trick shot was thrown to McCaffrey! Source: https://www.nfl.com

Super Bowl Sunday was on Feb. 11, and fans watched a game that did not disappoint. This was a game of a lot of back-and-fourth between both team’s defenses, but the first to strike were the 49er’s, with a trick play thrown to running back Christian McCaffery for a touchdown.

On the other hand, tensions were high on the Chiefs sideline with star tight-end, Travis Kelce, getting rowdy with Chief’s coach, Andy Reid. After watching, some deemed the interaction “absolutely disrespectful and ridiculous” and “a player’s frustration is not an excuse to yell at a coach.” In Kelce’s defense, Becton Football Coach Greg Barbo voiced his opinion on the matter, “Kelce wants to win. They have won two Super Bowls together before that, so I think they love each other at the end of the day.” Mr. Ryan agreed, “It was the heat of the moment. Andy Reid didn’t seem to care.”

The Halftime Show this year was headed by Usher with musical guests Alicia Keys, H.E.R., will.i.am, Ludacris, Lil Jon, and more. Reba McEntire performed the National Anthem. Usher and McEntire took the spotlight, and the reactions from Becton are about 50/50. Junior Kailyn Manzo felt, “Usher is a great performer, however I would have liked to hear a few more upbeat songs. I did like his musical guest performers.” Ms. Mary Vaccaro enjoyed the performance, but it didn’t end up being her favorite. “I thought that Reba did a great job with the National Anthem,” she gives further credit. However, some students and staff disliked the performance or opted out of watching it entirely.

Patrick Mahomes holding the winning Super Bowl 2024 trophy! Source: https://wwd.com/

In the second half of the Super Bowl, however; the Chiefs came alive again with quarterback Patrick Mahomes leading the team to close in on the score– sending the game into overtime. In the end, the Chiefs were able to mount a drive all the way down the field and close the game out with a touchdown to wide-receiver, Mecole Hardman, giving the Chiefs the winning title in an exciting turn of events! Chiefs QB, Patrick Mahomes, was even being recognized as Super Bowl LVIII MVP– which is not his first time receiving this award in only six short years of being in the NFL! As a closing statement from Coach Barbo, “Just a phenomenal game by both teams!”

With due credit, now, many fans are speculating that the Chiefs could complete a three-peat, winning three Super Bowls in a row. Senior Aidan Park believes the Chiefs will be back to the Super Bowl next year and do the impossible. It is all a waiting game now, until next season.

On Feb. 14 during the Chiefs Super Bowl parade, tragedy struck when shots were fired during the event. Twenty-one were injured and one has unfortunately passed. Our thoughts and condolences go out to the families of the victims of this tragic event.