The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

A Winter of “Wows!” for Becton Athletics

Henry P. Becton Regional Winter Sports have achieved a multitude of accomplishments this season, breaking records and making history!

Becton Bowling really stood out this winter, having one of the most memorable runs in their history– even earning the title of State Sectional Champions! Head Coach, Mr. Joseph Malyack, Assistant Coach Mrs. Rachel Lennon, and Senior Captains, Brian Battistus and Leah Rodriguez, lead the team to a 21-2 record. “Our team was successful because of our positive culture. We played as a Becton family with each person putting up the best score for the team, not for themselves,” Malyack exclaimed.

Senior Captain Battistus goes into depth on the team’s individual wins and his own, “We had a lot of accomplishments this season. Leah won the Albrecht tournament for the second year in a row setting a new high series for the tournament and Monica Rodriguez came in third, Leah also became a two-time NJIC Conference Champion, and Leah placed first in the county for average alongside Monica who placed fifth. I was ranked 9th in the county for averages and finished Top 30 for State Individual Finals. I also was awarded a High Series for all of North ll. Finally we ended the season with winning the North II Group II State Sectional Championship!”

The team was also honored to be mentioned in the 2024 NJIC All-Division Bowling Teams. Senior Brian Battistus and Sophomore Alex Pilvoski got First Team All-League. Senior Leah Rodriguez was named Second Team All-League and Senior Shawn Healy received Honorable Mention. Leah Rodriguez and Monica Rodriguez were also mentioned in the First Team All-League Girls Conference.

Becton Bowling Team holding their State Sectionals trophy.

Senior Shawn Healy gave credit where it is due, “I would say my captains stood out this season. They bowled exceptionally high numbers and always kept the energy up. I can’t personally thank Brian and Leah enough for all they did for the team this year, along with Alex and Monica for all the time and effort they put in this season.”

Despite the athletes individual wins, a team is nothing without its coaches! “Coach Malyack and Coach Lennon are great coaches. They know the game and enhance our cooperation and collaboration as a team. I appreciate having both of them as my coaches,” L. Rodriguez stated. Healy echoed, “Our coaches led us to victory time and time again.”

Coach Malyack had some closing words on this season and his team, “I couldn’t have dreamed of a better team or season than this one. After having a losing record just 3 years ago, coming home with a Sectional Championship and 21-2 record just goes to show what a positive culture can do for a program.”

Charles Groh pictured with his two coaches, Bayorsdorfer and Hoagland, at the NJ State Meet of Champions.

Becton Swimming has turned many heads in its very first season as as a sport at BRHS. Becton Swim took 4th place at the NJIC Championship and junior, Charles Groh, earned 1st in 50 free and 100 breast at the NJIC Championship and was Becton’s first ever swimmer to compete at the NJ State Meet of Champions where he earned second in the 50 free.  He shares his gratitude, “Winning first place in the 50 free and 100 breast in the NJIC Championship and going to the Meet of Champions felt very fulfilling. Our team has put tons of work into our practices and to see that effort pay off was truly gratifying.”

Coach Lauren Bayersdorfer had very high praise for her team and one person in particular, Charles Groh. “I am so proud of Charles! I cannot take much credit for his success though, as he has been training much of his life with a club swim team, for a couple hours everyday. My hope for Charles next season is for him to break his personal records.”

Coach Bayersdorfer is already thinking about the next season and has high expectations, “I hope we can continue to be as competitive as we were this year, and I also hope to add more swimmers to the team. Eighth graders coming to Becton next year…I hope you are eager to swim!”

Becton Wrestling had a season of highlights led by Head Coach Ken Herishen, returning assistant coach, Fiona Rupinski, and new coach, KC Rupinski. Coach Herishen comments, “The team really had a season with many ups and downs, but some very memorable moments such as the nail-biter match at Leonia, a big win at Teaneck, and most of the winter tournaments where senior Captain Jordan Stallone steamrolled the competition.” Herishen applauds his team as a whole, “The entire team leveled up. The returning starters all had a more successful year than last year and the first-year starters did an excellent job of stepping up to the varsity positions.” 

Jordan Stallone holding his “100 Wins” banner alongside his father.

Jordan Stallone was able to achieve getting his 100th win to end his high school career. “I feel very accomplished because not many people have done that, and with the year of COVID-19, it was hard to get there,” Stallone explained. He got his 100th win from pinning a wrestler from Hackettstown in 48 seconds. Additionally, Stallone was awarded the Alex-Sebahie Award and made it to states this year.

Female wrestler, Kailey Mount also found great success this season. Coach Rupinski attested, “I felt Kailey Mount had great success on the mats. Her offseason training definitely helped her technical ability, work ethic, and overall drive. With a record of 21-11, taking 3rd place at the BCWCA showcase, and all the while helping the boys step up in the lineup as well.”

Mount shares her goals for next season, “Some goals I have for next season are to win states or at the very least place at state level. Although, the long-term goal is to build-up the girl’s wrestling program and potentially have a girls duel team.”

Herishen and Rupinski are excited for what the future holds next season as a young team. Parting senior, Stallone, agrees, “Alex Van Herk, Javier Pelaez, and Micheal Prodal are wrestlers to look out for next season.”

“My advice to the team is to never take time away from the mats. If you want to do better next season, find the weight room and get back to the mats. Grind everyday!” Herishen encourages.

The team at a celebration for Cole Thomas’ 1,000 point milestone and Senior Night.

Becton’s Boys Basketball team also shared many individual and team victories. The team was honored to be mentioned in the All League Honor 2023-24 NJIC Meadowlands Division. Senior Cole Thomas and junior Adrian Rozon were named First Team All-League. junior John Palsi was named Second Team All-League and junior Dylan Bethea was named for Honorable Mention.

Senior Cole Thomas broke the 1,000 points mark to end his high school career. Thomas leaves these words to any underclassmen trying to achieve this goal, “Getting a thousand points is achievable if you just put in the extra work.”

Thomas was also mentioned by underclassmen as being one of the team’s top team leaders. Freshman Selim El Hetawy expressed, “Cole is the type of teammate that brings you up. He would guide me and tell me what to do and what not to do in certain situations. He made me a better basketball player.”

The team is looking to a bright future behind their coach, “Coach Balaban is focused and committed to us.” El Hetawy credited. Thomas also added, “Coach is very locked in all year round and he put us in off-season leagues for us to get more work in.” In that case, the work for next season starts now!

Becton’s Girls Basketball team had one of the most electrifying seasons to date. For the first time since 2006, they locked in NJIC Meadowlands Division Conference Champions against long-time rival Hasbrouck Heights. Along with becoming league champions, the team was also ranked 5th in states and had the honor of being mentioned in the All-League Honor 2023-24 NJIC Meadowlands Division. Individually, Juniors Katie Reiner, Analise Feliz, Francesca Buda, and Christiana Akiki were named First Team All-League. Sophomore Shania Healy was named Second Team All-League, and Senior Samantha Joseph was named for Honorable Mention.

The Lady Wildcats celebrating their League Championship win.

Additionally, Coach Mike Ryan was named NJIC Meadowlands Division Coach of the Year and was able to celebrate his 200th win. Coach Ryan’s history at Becton goes back far, “My history at Becton has been a long one, I graduated in 1978. I coached Becton football from 1998 to 2005.  I have been the Girls basketball coach for 12 years and over this time have been fortunate to coach some great players and people. I also have sent three of my own children through Becton.”

Ryan expresses his appreciation, “It felt good to win the 200th game and be Coach of the Year, it made me think back to all of the players I coached over the years that were a part of the wins, and ultimately, these awards.”

Analise Feliz broke the school rebound record with pulling down 22 rebounds in one game. Feliz expressed, “Some of my accomplishments this season were getting 7 double doubles and 1 triple double. Another was beating my personal record and  a school record of 22 rebounds in one game.”

Francesca Buda is another player who stood out during this season. “Francesca is the general of our team– she runs the court and is our voice. Not only is she is a great leader who always pushes us to believe in ourselves and in the team, she led the state in assists,” Feliz explained. As expected, Buda is motivated for next season, “For next season we’d like to win the league again, hit 20 wins after only getting 19 for the past two years, and advance further in states.”

The team supporting Reiner’s 1,000 Point accomplishment.

Leading the team, Captain Katie Reiner broke the 1,000 point mark in her career as only a junior– which has never been done at Becton! That isn’t the only thing Reiner has accomplished, however. Here’s a list of her feats this year: 1,000 points as a junior, over 200 career 3-pointers, NJIC player of the week (two times), North Jersey Player of the Week, voted Top Junior in NJ, candidate for Player of the Year for the NJIC, one of the MVP’s for the state quarterfinals and First Team All-League for the NJIC.

We asked Reiner about her future goals, “My goals for next season are really team goals. I want to win the league and not just the division, I want to win the states and I want to make the Bergen County Tournament and be successful,” she began, but it all eventually boiled down to her hopes for the team as a whole, “Personally, I would like to achieve the school scoring record but it doesn’t happen if we aren’t playing well as a team, so team goals are first. If we are winning, the scoring will happen. I am also excited for Annie to get 1000 Career Rebounds. Hitting 1000 Career Rebounds is an amazing accomplishment.”

“This year’s season was a total success. I don’t only measure success by wins and losses, I measure it by how we come to compete every day.  I can say as a long-time coach that this team gave its heart and soul everyday. Many games, opposing coaches came to me after the game and said how they cannot believe how hard our athletes play. As a coach, there is no bigger compliment,” Coach Ryan closed.

Mika Tampadong pictured with Coach Dorsey.

Winter Track broke bounds as a program, but more specifically, the Boys Winter Track team won the North 2 Group 1 State Sectionals for the first time in Becton history. Coach Quinn Geraghty has high praise for his athletes,“We have a handful of very committed athletes who have spent the last few years perfecting their crafts. This season specifically, this group embodied what it is to be a team. Track is a team sport that is often made to be individualized. However, the boys this year came together to achieve something great. When you have a track team that competes as one and shares this mindset, it’s difficult to be an opposing squad.”

Coach David Dorsey also had much to say especially about his team, and specfically, junior Mika Tampadong. “Girls took third at the County Relays and NJIC Conference Championship. That’s pretty impressive considering last year we came in dead last! Out of 20+ schools! Junior Mika Tampadong was the NJIC 3200m champ and set a new meet record. She took first in the N2G1 State Sectional 1600m and 3200m and was the State Group 1 Runner Up in the 3200m, qualifying for the State Meet of Champions.”

Tampadong and Amelia Carrasco were honored to be mentioned in the NJIC Indoor Track & Field Girls NJIC All-Conference team. Tampadong was named First-Team for the 3,200 event and was named Second-Team for the 800 event. Sophomore Amelia Carrasco was named for Honorable Mention for the PV event. Carrasco speaks highly of her teammate, Tampadong, “Mika is a well-rounded athlete. Every race she did she always placed at least top 5. She a real role model!” Carrasco added.

The Boys’ Winter Track Team celebrating their State Sectional win.

This year, Coach Geraghty also received the title of Bergen County Boys Winter Track Coach of the Year. “It was so surreal hearing my name announced as the Bergen County Coach of the Year. No accomplishment happens without help. To begin, we have received amazing support from our administration and the Becton Community as a whole. But more than anything, the Becton track and field coaching staff needs their shoutouts. Coach Woyce and Coach Babbini volunteer their time, and make a world of difference. They are both excellent coaches and people. Coach Dorsey, who is the head girls coach, works in tandem with myself on all major decisions for the team. This award is just as much his as it is mine. I’m lucky to be surrounded by the best of the best,” Geraghty humbly comments.

The track athletes are proud of their coaches too! “They are energetic, really supportive, and were never upset with us when we did not have our best days. They were always fun to be around!” Carrasco stated. Juniors Jayiem Gilkes and Gustavo Costa both agreed, “Mr. Geraghty is our favorite coach throughout high school, he cares so much about us. You can learn something new all the time.” Captain Christopher Zawadzki added, “Coach Geraghty really deserves Coach of the Year. With a program that just started up two years ago and seeing what we achieved just in one season…he deserves that and more.”

Evidently, Becton’s winter sports have been revolutionary. We applaud all athletes for their tireless work and wish them the best in any other sport they participate in and in the upcoming Sring sports season, but most importantly, we are excited for the turnout of the next winter season at BRHS!

« of 2 »