The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Cole Thomas Hits Major Milestone of 1,000 Career Points

Cole+and+his+family+embracing+his+accomplishment+while+his+proud+team+supports+him%21+
Cole and his family embracing his accomplishment while his proud team supports him!

Becton basketball is in a great momentum this winter season, celebrating the great feats of players who have reached major milestones throughout their high school careers. Starting point guard, senior Cole Thomas, achieved a major accomplishment scoring 1,000 points during the Jan. 13, game against Lodi High School. This accomplishment is a testament to his exceptional skills, dedication, and hard work on the court. Thomas has clearly demonstrated an impressive ability to score and contributes significantly to the team’s success as a whole.

Thomas has always had a love for the game sharing that he grew up with basketball all around him. He recalls memories of watching and playing with his cousins at his grandmother’s house when he was younger. Thomas has come a long way from playing with his cousins as a kid, noting the many ups and downs throughout his journey and the pressures he has faced. He notes that he felt as though the pressure increased as he got closer to 1,000 points because the anticipation toward the achievement grew.

Cole entering the game.

Being a student-athlete oftentimes can become challenging– balancing the academic workload with practice and games. Thomas is a well-rounded student-athelete who values his academics and puts school first, “Balancing academics and basketball is pretty easy for the most part. I always put school first before basketball which makes it easier throughout the season.”

Looking back on his career, Thomas recounts his most memorable game being against Wallington High School during his sophomore year. This game holds great meaning to Thomas as he scored his career high of 42 points. This achievement not only brought more outstanding accomplishments, but a new drive and passion for the game. Thomas explains, “This game was special to me because it gave me more confidence, which I needed on the court”.

Through his time playing basketball, Thomas has learned countless lessons, and has grown as a player and a teammate. From his countless years of experience he explains that no matter what, players should always give their all and play the hardest they can as you never know who could be watching and the opportunities that could arise. He also notes that being a good player does not always have to equate to scoring the most or having the most steals or rebounds. He further explains that having good character plays a major role in being the best you can be, “If you’re having a bad game, still cheer on your teammates and be the best teammate you can be. This is a good sign of a leader on a team and coaches definitely appreciate that.”

Coach Balaban encouraging Cole.

Varsity head coach, Dan Balaban, has nothing but good things to say about Thomas and his hard-earned achievement. “As a program, we are all very proud of Cole’s accomplishment. Scoring 1,000 points is the result of many years of commitment and dedication. Cole has worked incredibly hard to reach this impressive milestone. It is an outstanding achievement.”

Balaban explains that Thomas is extremely dedicated and committed to the game as well as the Becton program as a whole. He applauds Thomas’ work outside of Becton basketball noting that he continues to play competitively all year round. Balaban applauds Thomas in his ability to lead the team in scoring for the past three seasons and proudly acknowledges his leading varsity role since his sophomore year.

Balaban continued, going into depth regarding Thomas’s outstanding stats. “As a sophomore, Cole averaged 13.6 points per game and scored a career high of 42 points.” He recalls that Thomas made nine 3-point shots during that same game. “As a junior, Thomas averaged 18.2 points per game and made 62 total 3 point shots during the season. Finally, Thomas is again averaging over 18 points per game during his senior year and has scored over 20 points in eight of the teams 17 games so far.”

Cole’s 1,000 point ceremony.

Balaban shares his final thoughts, “Cole’s ability to score consistently has helped the team tremendously throughout the season. He is a great contributor and a key leader for the team.” He ends by optimistically looking forward to the NJSIAA Group 2 North 2 State Tournament where he says that Thomas’s skills and abilities will help the team reach their goals.

When it comes to sports, dedication and resilience are paramount, and Thomas reflects on his journey with a piece of advice for fellow student-athletes, noting, “You can accomplish anything you set your mind to if you put the work in. If you keep working and perfect your craft, the sky is the limit. But remember, nothing is handed to you.”

Congratulations Cole Thomas!