The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Our Local Competitive Cheerleading Team: The CER Wildcats

The 2023-24 CER cheerleading program!
The 2023-24 CER cheerleading program!

A program full of support, friendship and talent– the CER Wildcats are a competition cheerleading team based out of the Carlstadt-East Rutherford community; however, the team welcomes athletes from any and all towns to join them on the mat. 

What is competitive cheer? It is a team-based performance sport that competes with other teams just like them. Many different elements go into putting a routine together, with large focus on putting on an engaging show all the while maintaining saftey. Components such as tumbling, stunting, dancing and more are crucial to the success of these teams. A little mix up with any of the previously stated could keep these teams as little as one point away from victory, or even cause them to suffer a serious injury. 

The CER Wildcats are no strangers to the cheerleading world. As they enter their “Sweet Sixteenth” year of being a program, let’s take a little look at how this team became the well-oiled machine they are today. “The program was started by Catherine Perry (Duhaime) around 2008. She began the program on her own starting with only one team and built it up to what it is now,” Coach Amy shares. Sixteen years later, the program continues to thrive.

Most current coaches were on the team in high school, then returned to coach. Senior Team coach, Amy Ravettine, first tried out for her initial season in 2008. She didn’t make the team but became “…infatuated with making the team. I practiced almost everyday whether it was in my bedroom, in a class, or outside.” She later made the team the following season and has been a part of the program ever since. Coach Amy’s story is only one of many. So many athletes that join the team either become coaches or supporters in the stands for the next generation. 

The CER senior team at their holiday gift exchange. The program does a great deal of team-bonding such as movie trips, pumpkin picking, painting nights, and countless team dinners.

The CER program is made up of four competitive teams for a range of different ages. The youngest being 3 and oldest being 18, this team is very inclusive. Athletes join one of four teams based on skill and age. The season starts in May with tryouts leading all the way to the end of March, ending with the Nationals competition. Coach Amy explains that “Each season lasts about 9 months. Pre-season lasts from May through August. Full practice season is September through March. Competition season is from January through March.” Practices are two times a week for two hours each day.

The teams practice in a local gym called the “The Turnverein of Carlstadt”. Upon entering and heading upstairs, you will find practice mats and banners of wins covering every wall. Coach Amy expresses, “The teams practice at The Turnverein of Carlstadt. We are lucky enough to have our own space to practice each night. Huge thank you to Stefan and Jesse who make this possible for us.” As for extra classes required to take, there are none. However taking tumbling and/or stunting is optional, but highly recommended. 

Nationals is a recognized competition that all teams are working towards. Monica Offreda, president of the CER board, explains Nationals as, “The Nationals event is a prestigious national competition organized by various cheer and dance companies across the United States. Geographically dispersed, these competitions take place in different states throughout the nation. Our team has participated in Nationals across various states along the East Coast, spanning from the northernmost state of Massachusetts to the southernmost state of Florida.” 

Ultimately, the CER Competition team is more of a family than anything else. Athletes from the team describe it as “welcoming” and “a lot of fun.” Joining this team will teach you incredible social skills, athletic skills and give you life-long friendships. With all the support and friends you will need– even when you may grow out of the program– CER will always be there to support you wherever you end up. And if you ever come back to reminisce, they will be there with open arms like nothing has ever changed!

If you are interested in seeing what competition cheerleading is all about, come watch the home competition that CER hosts and performs at March 3 at BRHS, or go all in and join the CER Competition Team this spring!