The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Christmas Music is Taking Over the Billboard Hot 100

With Christmas just around the corner, Christmas music has taken over the Billboard Hot 100 top ten with six out of the ten slots being Christmas songs! As the holidays get closer, Christmas music tends to rise on the charts starting from the day after Halloween, after Thanksgiving, and all the way through the middle and end of January.

Coming in first on the Billboard Hot 100 is a classic, “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” written by Johnny Marks but sung and published by Brenda Lee. A close second is, “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” written and sung by Mariah Carey. Coming in the number three and four slots are “Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobby Helms and “Last Christmas” by Wham!. Lastly, taking the number six slot is “A Holly Jolly Christmas” by Burl Ives, and then, “It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams falling into the eighth slot.

As Christmas music is very popular around the world, it is especially popular throughout the Becton halls. In a survey shared through the Becton students and staff, there are many different opinions on when it is an appropriate time for people to start listening to Christmas music. Many people agree that people should wait to listen to Christmas music and that sometimes it is too early to start listening, as Mr. Greg Barbo stated, “People who listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving should not be trusted!” Mr. Michael Settembrino explained, “No X-Mas music until December 1! We should add that to the Constitution.” Yet many other people agree that it is never too early to listen to Christmas music. Mr. Malyack stated excitedly, “It is a Christmas SEASON, not a month!” Student Madison Kleinman eagerly exclaimed, “No!” when asked if it is too early.

Throughout the years, Christmas records cover many different styles. As they can be choral, pop, rock, country and even jazz. As well as the different styles, there are also many different versions of Christmas songs.

In a Becton survey, it was shown that both songs, “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” and “All I Want for Christmas is You” are both very popular and equally liked songs. There are also many other different styles of Christmas songs enjoyed, such as Ms. Michele Tabaka stating that her favorite Christmas songs are “Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy.” Then switching styles, student Veronica Guerra happily shared that her favorite Christmas song is “Christmas Don’t Be Late” from the movie “Alvin and the Chipmunks”. Other classics enjoyed by the Becton students and staff are “Run Rudolph Run,” “Jingle Bells,” and “Frosty the Snowman.”

With Christmas music being so popular throughout the halls of Becton, we wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! We also want everyone to remember that it is never too early to start listening to Christmas music!