The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Becton’s First Junior to Score 1,000 Points: Kaitlyn Reiner

Becton’s very own junior, Kaitlyn Reiner, celebrated her 1,000th point in her high school basketball career during the Garfield Winter Tournament on Dec. 29, 2023.

She achieved her 1,000th point in the first two minutes of the third quarter. Reiner helped her team in the victory against Garfield High School, 49-26, with 28 points and 8 rebounds. Reiner has been averaging 19 points per game and is one of the team’s top scorers.

“I was so excited, but also relieved. I have been working for this milestone and have been getting close. I wanted to achieve it, so that as a team, we could just concentrate on winning basketball games!” said Reiner.

The Becton Girls Basketball Team after their game against Garfield.

She noted that along with team practices, she has been putting in extra work on the side. “My basketball schedule is pretty packed. I have the school team, my AAU team, extra training, and I practice on my own a lot.”

Speaking with her teammates– they are all proud to celebrate this milestone with Reiner. Senior Samantha Joseph explained, “I know she has been working very hard to reach this goal in her high school career, and I was excited to be able to get the assist for her 1000th point.” Junior Analise Feliz stated, “I am honored to celebrate with Katie as she achieved this great accomplishment, and I’m happy to have played a part in it.” Junior Christiana Akiki emphasized, “She’s determined, ambitious, and talented. I appreciate the opportunity to be able to play with Katie.”

Reiner with Mrs. Giancaspro.

Coach Mike Ryan proudly shared, “Katie puts a lot of time into her game, you don’t reach these goals without putting the work in.” He also added, “I know Katie wants to play basketball at the next level, I am excited to take this journey with her and see where she ends up.”

For those following Reiner, they know this milestone was just one of her many basketball accomplishments. To date, Reiner has been awarded NJIC Player of the Week two times, JerzeyZone Game Ball of the week, New Jersey Top Sophomore of the Year, New Jersey Freshman of the Year, NJIC All-Star 2022-23, First Team in the Meadowlands Division, achieved 100 three-pointers in one season, and is now proud to say she is a part of the 1K club.

Reiner does plan to continue playing basketball in college and hopefully beyond. Reiner’s athletic career started in Kindergarten. Reiner indulged, “I was coached by my dad and Mr. Taylor from Kindergarten through 8th grade. I then started playing club basketball and school basketball.”

Reiner’s custom-designed 1,000-Point basketball.

When asked what advice she would give to someone wanting to also reach 1,000 points, she replied, “My advice would be that you have to put the work in. Extra training and extra individual practice. It’s like anything you want in life. You have to work for it because no one is going to just hand it to you.”

On Friday, Jan. 5, Becton girls basketball team had a ceremony during halftime. During this ceremony, Becton’s Athletic Director, Annette Giancaspro, recognized Reiner and all she has accomplished over the time of her high school career. Reiner was granted a basketball designed for her 1,000 points as well as cupcakes made by the Culinary class.

We congratulate Kaitlyn Reiner for accomplishing this milestone in her career and cannot wait to see what else she can accomplish!

See Reiner’s 1,000 point celebration HERE!