The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Does Homework Help or Hurt Students?

https://www.queensjournal.ca/not-all-homework-is-created-equal/

The topic of homework is very controversial when it comes to students.  Some believe that homework is “useless” or “a waste of time.”  However, others see homework as a necessary element to improve their grades. While interviewing Becton students, it seems that the importance of homework is split 50/50.

Becton Senior, Alessandra Awad explains that, “Homework is essential to my understanding of the learning material. Without it, I would fall quickly behind in class.” Awad does have a strong point. Homework is normally made up of material learned in class that day. Giving yourself time in a comfortable environment to review the material will only benefit you.

Senior Gavin Stallone has a similar viewpoint to Awad. Stallone explains how, “When I do my homework, I have a better understanding in class the next time. I find when I don’t do my homework at night, I fall slightly behind the next day.” If the material on the homework is relating to the next class’s teachings, completing that homework will help you stay right on track.  Stallone also adds that, “Homework teaches students responsibility and time management. It forces students to plan their afternoons and nights around the work that needs to be completed.” 

Homework helps students learn to manage time efficiently. With this crucial life skill, it will only get easier and prepare them for the the future.

Nevertheless, other students are not too keen on homework. Some students with after school sports or clubs, busy home lives or jobs, find it extremely hard to complete homework on time. Student athletes go through extreme training during their sport seasons. Thus, homework might be the last thing on their minds. Also, students with after school jobs express that they do not have time to complete homework while working. These are all extremely valid reasons to put homework to the bottom of the to-do list. 

Senior Christina Carpentier is someone who has an after school job and experiences that stress of completing homework on time, “Right after school I go to my job. Some days I stress about homework if I have a lot and I’m working late,” says Carpentier.

Additionally Senior Yzhan Dong agrees with Carpentier. Dong describes it as, “After school I have a million things to do. Sometimes if all my classes give me homework, it could end up with five hours of homework. Some people just don’t have that time.” Both Dong and Carpentier have strong points. If given too much homework, students can feel immense pressures.

On the contrary, Ryan McGuire, football player and wrestler, shares his mixed reviews on homework as a busy athlete, “My method to success is to try to get as much done in one sitting. If I can’t, I try to find time in school, like using my academic study, to complete it. I always try to complete my homework efficiently, as teachers excpect. Managing sports and academics is a constant battle between two worlds. You have to remember all your homework and your plays. It can get overwhelming, but you just need to stay focused.”

Learning time management skills in order to assure the completion of assignments is a crucial. Being able to set and stick to a schedule, and focus on your other priorities and values is tough, but important. All students should learn this balance. 

All in all, while homework might not seem like our first priority, the positives of it definifely outweigh the negatives.