The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Staying Safe Behind the Wheel: Tips for Student Drivers

Senior Isadora Passos in her car! #Becton2024

The 2024 school year accounts for the largest amount of driving students at Becton Regional High School to date.

To accommodate the influx of drivers, over last summer, BRHS expanded the student parking beyond Wildcat Way by reconfiguring spaces and constructing a new lot. Despite the additional parking, students still needed access to other forms of parking as only a select few seniors are able to park in the school lot at a time. Student obtain spots by entering the “parking spot lottery” every marking period.

Originally, many students took it upon themselves to park in the strip mall parking lot on Route 17, home to student favorites such as Krispy Kreme and Panera Bread. Earlier this year, some students had issues with parking in the strip mall, finding their cars were being towed for not complying with rules in the parking vicinity– a new driver’s first “don’t. Becton administration did not take this lightly, and to ensure the safety and security of students and their vehicles, worked out an agreement to allow Becton students parking within the confines of maintaining compliance with loading dock and dumpster regulations.

Salvatore Penna and Juan Tamayo in their car.

With parking issues settled, one of the most exciting aspects of getting your license is the freedom that comes with it! Whether that be driving alone to school or to the mall with friends, being on the road brings great responsibility and requires being alert, focused and smart while operating a vehicle. When sophomores start up their year in Physical Education, driver education teacher, Mr. Settembrino, takes a handful of students and teaches them– not only in hopes for them to get their learner’s permits, but to also help them learn the laws and safety expectations of driving.

However, being a new driver can bring on anxiety, as being on the road alone for the first time requires being on high alert– knowing the rules on and off the road. Driving the speed limit, obeying stop signs and stop lights, and watching for pedestrians are all basics when it comes to driving. Especially for students, when driving in residential areas after school hours it is crucial to be observant and wildcat-eyed at all times.

Senior Brooke Emerson in her Becton lottery spot!

For Carlstadt and East Rutherford students, distance does not play a major factor in getting to and from school. While for Maywood students, the drive through multiple towns has become part of the daily routine. Nonetheless, all students should make sure to leave their houses on time, and maybe even leave a few minutes earlier as a precaution to account for traffic, weather or accidents.

For some, driving on the highway as a new driver can be daunting, so it is always a good option to have an alternate route avoiding highway areas, using a navigation system or even bringing a friend to help guide you to your destination.

When asked about the biggest mistakes teens make nowadays Mr. Settembrino explains, “Teens are known for not wearing their seatbelts, which is probably the biggest mistake they can make as drivers.” This is very true; about 50% of people who unfortunately die in car accidents are because they do not buckle their seatbelts. When asked how he approaches teaching the kids, he explains, “With absolute honesty, I let them know that at this age if they were to die prematurely, it is most likely in a car.”

As students navigate the roads, it is essential to remember that safety comes first no matter what. By embracing responsible driving habits such as avoiding distractions, respecting speed limits and signs, and wearing seat belts, we can collectively work towards making our communities safer for everyone.

Drive safe!