The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Texas Rangers Win Their First World Series

Former Ranger, Mark DeRosa, Shares Some Thoughts on the Series
2023+World+Series+Winners%3A+The+Texas+Rangers%21+
nbcdfw.com
2023 World Series Winners: The Texas Rangers!

This year, once again, two of baseball’s toughest teams battled it out in a seven game series to determine which team is considered the best. In this case, the Texas Rangers were that team, but how did they get here? What were some key elements that brought them this far, and how has history helped them along the way?

This is a historic win for Texas because this is the first-ever World Series Title the Rangers have won, but before all this, in 1961 they were the Washington Senators. In their years of being both the Senators and the Rangers, this has been their one and only World Series.

The opposing team, the Diamondbacks, have a little more experience in this line of work. Created in 1998, they did not do too well their first season, but with the right players, they were able to go 84-78 and make it to the championship game to fight for a win.

Both teams over the years have had notable players. The Diamondbacks with Randy Johnson, Alan Trammell, and Luis Gonzales and the Ranger’s with Alex Rodriguez, Micheal Young, Ivan Rodriguez, and Mark DeRosa. We had the pleasure of interviewing DeRosa– who voiced his opinion on the World Series and much more.

DeRosa currently is a MLB analyst and has his own TV show on MLB Network called “MLB Central”. On top of all that, he played 16 years in the big leagues on four different teams, and on one of those teams, the San Francisco Giants, he was able to win his first World Series. Probably one his greatest accomplishments of all was when DeRosa coached Team USA in the 2023 World Baseball classic.

When asked about how being coach of team USA stacks up to winning the World Series, he responded, “Completely different but definitely right up there with winning the World Series. I just remember kneeling in the dugout right before the last pitch of the 2010 World Series and thinking of all the teams I ever played on from little league to high school and all the bus rides in the minor leagues…and now I was going to be a World Series champion. That was pretty incredible. A lot of luck, hard work and fight.

DeRosa continues, “Being the manager of Team USA was an amazing honor. I felt like I was living through my Dad. He was the best baseball coach I ever had. I just wanted to represent my country the right way and create an experience for the players that they’d never forget.”

Furthermore, DeRosa explains his mindset and preparation for the World Series, “Over the course of 162 game regular season I’d be lying if I said your mind and body didn’t get tired and get on cruise control but in the postseason you’re getting everyone’s best: complete focus, no excuses. As far as being nervous…..Derek Jeter said something to me in 2009 that made total sense. He said when you were a kid you dreamed of being in these moments so why would you be nervous now.”

DeRosa as team USA manager!

Lastly, DeRosa broke down the Ranger’s keys to victory throughout the season, and at the end of season in the biggest game of their lives. “The postseason is about who gets hot at the right time. Texas was the perfect storm. Nate Eovaldi and Jordan Montgomery both pitched incredibly well. The offense led by Corey Seager swung hot bats the entire postseason, and Bruce Bochy is the best in the business at creating chemistry and running a bullpen. He moved starters John Gray, Dane Dunning and Andrew Heaney to the bullpen and Leclerc and Sborz threw great. Boch made all the right moves again and proved why he is one of the greatest managers of all time.”

The Becton community also took to the surveys to voice their opinion on the game entirely. Many stduents and staff sharing that they thought the Los Angeles Dodgers should have been in the Series because, “they were a stacked team.” Many also rooted for the Houston Astros to be in the Series because of favoritism, and being they were defending champs, they were believed to make it that far.

Becton’s own baseball coaches, Carlo Maucione and Kevin Hoagland share their expertise. Hoagland originally thought that the Astros would make it back to defend their title, “they also happen to be my favorite team.” Maucione on the other hand thought that Atlanta Braves would make it all the way because of their “powerful lineup with very good pitching.”

Nonetheless, Maucione was happy to see young talent on the field for the Diamondbacks competing for a title and Hoagland loved watching the Texas Rangers  Adolis Garcia “hitting huge home runs.”

All and all, it was a hard fought victory for the Rangers and we have to give hats off to the Diamondback for giving an A+ effort!

We thank Mr. DeRosa for his valued input and wish him good luck the rest of the year with his show!