The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Homecoming Ceremony 2023

Homecoming Weekend: Oct. 13
Our+2023+Homecoming+Court%3A+Mayriah+Santelises%2C+Domenic+Maucione%2C+Skyla+Tallakson%2C+Salvatore+Penna%2C+Shawn+Healy%2C+and+Brooke+Emerson.+
Our 2023 Homecoming Court: Mayriah Santelises, Domenic Maucione, Skyla Tallakson, Salvatore Penna, Shawn Healy, and Brooke Emerson.

On Oct. 13 2023 Becton Regional High School hosted its annual homecoming game and ceremony to recongize the homecoming court and invite Becton alumni back! The game was planned by Student Council Advisor, Ms. Daniella Polmann, and Student Activities Coordinator, Ms. Jessica O’Driscoll. 

This year’s court consisted of six exceptional students– Skyla Tallakson, Salvatore Penna, Shawn Healy, Mayriah Santelises, Domenic Maucione and Brooke Emerson. The students of Becton Regional were able to nominate which students they believed deserved the title by nominating those that demonstrate leadership, good character, and school spirit. After all the nominations were in, there was a final vote to declare our Homecoming King and Queen.

During the ceremony, the six nominees soaked in their glory by being driven around the track in a beautifully decorated float until they were let out in front of the eager crowd. Each nominee had a poster with their name on it, which they stood next to as the annoucer read a short biography of each candidate. Then, nominees were called in acending order: second runner-ups were Mayriah Santelises and Domenic Maucione, first runner-ups were Brooke Emerson and Shawn Healy, and finally Homecoming King and Queen were Salvatore Penna and Skyla Tallakson. The Homecoming King and Queen then went back on to the float for their final lap of waves (of course accompanied by our Wildcat mascot.)

Our 2023 Homecoming King, Salvatore Penna, and Homecoming Queen, Skyla Tallakson!

Santelises, shared humbly, “The ceremony was definitely something memorable. It was really fun getting to be a part of a school event like that.” Thus, even being nominated for this title is a great honor.

Similarly, Nominee Maucione attested to this, “Even though I got third the results didn’t matter to me. Having a shot at winning and being recongized by my peers was rewarding.” Nominee Shawn Healy also added, “All the people who were nominated are great people and great students who I have my own individual friendships with. I think as a whole we are a very respectable group.”

Homecoming Queen, Tallakson, describes her feelings of winning, “The results were everything I had hoped for (and the announcer pronounced my name right)!” Homecoming King, Penna, describes his reaction to winning,“After I had heard that most of my peers had voted for me, I was cautiously optimistic that I would win king. I felt like the results were well deserved, although any of the candidates would have also been a great fit.” 

A perfect homecoming night!

In terms of preparation, O’Driscoll sheds light on the process, “Ms. Polmann and I met several times to discuss the decor and layout of the Homecoming Event during Halftime on Friday, October 13th. We had to get the help of our staff such as Ms. Wilson creating our sashes. Ms. Polmann also supplied most of the decor (balloons, foil fringe, streamers) as well as the royalty crowns. I created and printed out the posters as well as brought the easels for the posters to be on.  Finally, we give tons of credit to our Student Council members and cheerleaders who helped decorate the float and the field– making the night so special.” Nominee Brooke Emerson recalls the ceremony as “extremely organized.” 

Ms. Polmann would like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who made the ceremony run so smoothy and a enormous congratulations to our model students who were nominated for homecoming court!