The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Mr. Mark Capobianco Returns to Becton

Becton Regional is delighted to welcome the return of Mark Capobianco to the special education department. Capobianco, who served as an assistant coach for Becton’s Girl’s Basketball Team during the 2014-2015 season, is an exceptionally talented and highly motivated educator with a deep commitment to the success of his students. We are excited to have him back on the Becton team again.

Capobianco’s educational journey began at William Patterson, where he excelled as a shortstop and pitcher for the school’s baseball team. However, he struggled to find his place in the school. Eventually, he moved on to NJCU before finally settling at Bergen Community College, where he found his true calling and pursued his career of becoming a teacher. He successfully earned degrees in history and special education, with a minor in mathematics.

Capobianco shared the personal motivation behind his choice to enter teaching. As a child, he faced challenges with reading and writing and was placed in supplemental programs at school. He experienced firsthand the positive impact of these programs– which inspired his desire to give the same opportunities to others. Furthermore, Capobianco enjoys teaching because it allows him to combine his passion for sports and coaching with education. He imparts a valuable lesson to his students, emphasizing that, “there is no wrong way to get the right answer.” He believes that, just like in coaching, the path to success may vary, but what matters most is achieving the desired outcome and being happy with the work you put in. His positive impact is evident to his students and colleagues, such as David Dorsey, who teaches World History alongside Capobianco. Dorsey noted that Capobianco is an impressively dedicated individual and even witnessed him sink an impressive 24 consecutive free throws in a Becton-Teacher-Games Professional Development, referring to his teaching and athletic ability as a “slam dunk!”

Capobianco is currently proud to coach basketball and football for Ramsey High School, but when questioned about the possibility of joining Becton’s coaching staff for the upcoming baseball season, he responded with a smile, acknowledging his already hectic schedule. However, he noted it’s important to keep options open and he looks forward to the day he has the opportunity to coach the Wildcats again.

Beyond his dedication to teaching and coaching, Capobianco finds enjoyment in his weekends spending time with his family as well as his passion for cooking in the kitchen and barbecuing!

Overall, Capobianco has found great fulfillment in teaching at Becton, describing it as a place where he can genuinely enjoy his work, “There is nothing better than loving coming to work every day.”