Junior Novello breaks school shot put record

Becton Twitter

Briella Novello stands beside Assistant Coach Mr. Mendelsohn after breaking the school record and placing first in the shot put.

Jaylen Nuila, Staff Writer

Junior Briella Novello broke the Becton Regional High School Track and Field women’s shot put record by three feet with a throw of 34 feet at the NJIC Meadowlands Division Championship on April 30.

The athlete surpassed the 2014 record of 31 ft. and 6.75 in. held by Erika Williams.

Additionally, while continuing her success during the 2019 outdoor season, Briella managed to secure first and second place medals at the county track meet last week.

Jaylen Nuila
Briella shows off the medals that she has earned alongside her friend and track athlete Angelyn Ariza.

The honor student takes part in all the throwing events, such as the javelin, discus, and shot put, and credits her success to all of her coaches, especially Head Coach Peck. “He has helped me a lot with my technique in all my events,” she noted.

Assistant Track Coach Mr. Mendelsohn stressed that Briella’s achievement comes from hard work and being determined. “Her performance allows for the team to score more points,” he said.

The junior explained that her biggest challenge yet has been balancing long practices and track meets with schoolwork. She is motivated to continue practicing during the on and off-season though and hopes to throw 40 ft. during the 2020 season.

The Becton athlete’s track career began her freshman year, and she strives to continue playing throughout college. She strongly encourages everyone to join the spring sport because of the valuable experiences and friendships made. “Our team is like a family, and I’ve made so many friends through this sport,” she said.