Senior Thomas is nominated for Heart of a Giant Award

Coach Maher states Thomas is "most hard-working, dedicated, enthusiastic football player"

Anthony Thomas (pictured left) and Joe Emerson exhibit school spirit at Becton's first pep rally.

Nina Garcia

Nina Garcia

Becton Senior Anthony Thomas has been recently nominated by Head Football Coach Mr. Jack Maher for the 2017 U.S.A Football Heart of a Giant Award. The accolade is presented by the Hospital for Special Surgery and the New York Giants.

The goal of the Heart Of a Giant Award is to honor high school football players who give one hundred percent and inspire greatness on and off the field. It is a reward for the athletes with the most commitment, character, teamwork, dedication and will.

“I feel honored, and it’s a blessing that God gave me the chance to receive this award,” stated Anthony.

After losing his cousin at a young age, it made Anthony focus on life and not take anything for granted. Anthony perceives himself as an extrovert and a hard worker. 

…it’s a blessing that God gave me the chance to receive this award.”

— Anthony Thomas

“I think he is a great role model and leader. He is very dedicated and an athletic role model to the community and student body,” stated Athletic Director Ms. Giancaspro. “He is very kind, sweet and respectful. When he walks down the hallway, he shows respect to everyone, and students and younger football players look up to him. It is a pleasure having him at Becton,” she added.

As dedicated as he is on the field, Anthony also focuses his time as a volunteer coach for the Jr. Wildcats Recreation Football Team.

The student athlete is currently is looking into colleges such as Rutgers, Rowan, Farleigh Dickinson University and NJIT.

One can vote for Anthony Thomas for the Heart of a Giant Award by visiting https://www2.usafootball.com/poll_management/userpoll/19.

Voting will be open for 25 days. A grand prize winner will be selected based on a video submission on why he or she has the Heart of a Giant and will be honored during a N.Y. Giants Game. Six finalists will receive $1,500 for their high school’s football program and the winner will receive an additional $3,500.

• Senior Thomas is nominated for Heart of a Giant Award

Class of 2018 News

Senior Kuc earns perfect score in science section of ACT; scores near perfect in English

Class of 2018 News

Becton Technology Intern Austin Kim earns computer science certificate

Features

Junior Guyre donates pet turtle to Heights resident

Clubs & Activities

Political Science Club offered at Becton

Showcase

Select Becton students highlighted as ‘Jets Upstander of the Week’

Fall Sports

Captains Sewastianowicz & Kanani lead girls’ tennis team

Student Spotlight

October Student of the Month: Timothy Reid

Clubs & Activities

Peer leaders participate in year-long Chick-fil-A Leader Academy

Class of 2018 News

Showcase

Signage displays keep Becton community digitally informed