The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Becton’s Best Talent Show 2024

Becton’s Best 2024 Talent Show Contestants

On March 14, 2024, Becton hosted its annual Talent Show! With over 15 performances, Monica Rodriguez placed first, Matthew Forbes and Diego Almanza placed second and Akash and Akansha Sathish, and Zoey Werner took third place! First place for the faculty, was Physical Education teacher Mr. Daniello!

For first place winner Monica Rodriguez, this is her third and final year performing in the talent show, as she graduates this June. This year, she takes first place with her incredible singing talent. She sang a cover of “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” by Jennifer Hudson from the film adaptation of the musical “Dreamgirls.” Originally, she was going to sing “Love” by Keishya Cole, but when she saw all the other performances she thought to challenge herself more and go with a song that radiates energy around the room and shocks people!

Second place winners, seniors Matthew Forbes and Diego Almanza, performed an original rap/love song called “Do I.” As last year’s third place winners, Almanza shares, “I felt great, to be honest. I didn’t think we were going to place!” Forbes comments that they’re, “climbing up the ladder.”

“Becton’s Best” Talent show poster, 1st place winner Monica Rodriguez, staff award winner Mr. Damian Daniello, 2nd place winners Matthew Forbes and Diego Almanza, and 3rd place winners Zoey Werner, Akansha Sathish and Akash Sathish.

Forbes himself is an aspiring artist, streaming his songs on the music streaming app Spotify, and hopes to continue his musical career beyond high school. His experience with performing helped him during the talent show, as he performs at small venues in Hackensack and grew up singing in a church choir. “You get that nervous feeling in your chest every time,” he comments, “you just kinda get used to it.”

Almanza, while unsure if he will pursue music as his career, enjoys writing and loves music. He acknowledges all the talent at Becton, and both he and Forbes hope to see more of the students work up the courage to show off their talents at future talent shows. For anyone who wants to be discovered as a music artist, Forbes and Almanza advise to “branch out and network with people.” Forbes adds, “Post on social media. If you really want people to hear it, you gotta post and utilize the resources you have!”

As for the third place winners, Akash Sathish, Akansha Sathish, and Zoey Werner performed a Hindi and Sinhalese song called ‘Manike’ by Yohani, Sri Lankan singer-songwriter. Akash played the djembe drum, Akansha played the guitar and sang while Werner played the flute.

Becton’s PE/Health teacher Mr. Damian Daniello has been singing for over 25 years and this year he performed an acoustic version of the song “Hey Ya!” by OutKast at the show! Mr. Daniello was this year’s first place winner for the staff awards.

As for some of the other performances from the talent show, the CEV’s own, Julia Bubendorf, performed the song “Coffee” by Beabadoobee, which she played acoustic guitar to. She originally was going to sing the karaoke version of the song “Liability” by Lorde. She then decided that she should choose an easier song, and one that she could perform on the guitar.

Furthermore, contestant Matias Ochoa performed an original piece of music that he produced himself, titled “It Will Be Okay” on the guitar! Daniel O’Donnell and his partner Leonardo Monaco played the song “Fade to Black” by Metallica. He played the lead guitar and his partner played the drums. His original idea was to play “Enter Sandman” by Metallica but he wanted to play a harder song. Senior Kalie Ramirez sang “Take Care” by Rihanna ft. Drake. Last year, she sang alongside now-graduate Emily Amaya and won first place!

Peter La, a 2023 Becton graduate, returned this year to perform the song “Best Part” by Daniel Caesar ft. H.E.R. alongside current senior Kyron Soumpholphakdy, who also played the guitar.

Sophomore Angelina Saad sang “All I Ask” by Adele, senior Kacie Lu sang “Stick Season” by Noah Kahan and sophomore Alice Kim returned from last year, performing the dance “Top Speed” by NBHD Nick.

Talent show judges Mrs. Jonna Calvanico and Mrs. Eileen Horn and Mr. Christopher Buchta, & hosts, Angela Korca, Yzhan Barce-Dong and Shawn Healy

Becton English teacher Tr. Adrie Hong and music teacher Ms. Caitlin Lennox performed “Street by Street” by Laufey– Tr. Hong singing and Ms. Lennox on the keyboard. At last year’s talent show, the two of them won first place in the staff awards!

Substitute and aid, Ms. Rachel Silverstein, thought to shock Becton with a new talent unseen before at any of our past talent shows — she performed the opera “Fidelo” by Beethoven!

For the final act of the night, Becton senior Mark Ricco performed alongside Montclair High School senior Aidan Davis, Rahway High School senior Alex Deffer, and West Orange sophomore Cormac O’Gorman. The group played the song “Night in Tunsia” by Dizzy Gilesple on the clarinet, piano, and bass.

The hosts of the annual “Becton’s Best” Talent Show Yzhan Barce-Dong, Angela Korca, and Shawn Healy worked well together and entertained the crowd throughout the show. Our judges this year, Mr. Christopher Buchta, Mrs. Jonna Calvanico and Mrs. Eileen Horn were astounded with the amount of talent this year!

Congratulations to all the winners! We cannot wait to see all the performances next year!