The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Let’s Spread the Love this Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day Upcoming Events at Becton and February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
Becton’s February Updates!

Valentine’s Day is coming up and love is in the air! This special time of gift-giving, sending cards, and love, annually celebrated on Feb. 14, is at its peak.

Valentine’s Day is celebrated all around the world. In the United Kingdom, lovers send anonymous letters to their love interests per the Victorian tradition and do not sign their names, as it is superstition that a signed love letter would mean bad luck. The U.K. also started the tradition of giving roses on Valentine’s Day– seen as the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love. In Japan, it’s actually women who make the first move on Valentine’s Day! A popular gift is honmei-choco, or homemade chocolate, and on March 14th is White Day– a holiday like Valentine’s for men to return their affections! In Finland and Estonia, they celebrate Friend’s Day on Feb. 14, a day for honoring both friends and significant others. In addition, Estonia has an up-lifting tradition for single people—they can get on the Love Bus in aims of meeting someone special!

For the U.S., it’s the time to start giving gifts like sweet treats, flowers, plushies and going on dates such as grabbing dinner or catching a movie. Although, Becton Math Teacher, Mr. Malyack, reminds us, “Valentine’s day is not about presents, but a day to celebrate the love people give each other throughout the year!” Whether it’s with friends, family, or with a partner, Valentine’s Day is about spending time with those you love!

Grow Kits & Crochet Roses!

Spread The Love With Becton:

• Crochet/Knitting Club advisor, Tr. Adrie Hong, promoted their “Valentine’s Day Forever Roses!” Members of the Crochet/Knitting club made handcrafted roses out of yarn and sold them to Becton students and staff to gift to their loved ones on Valentine’s Day.
  • Environmental Club advisor, Ms. Angela Calasso, promotes “Let Love Grow” with their special grow kits. Each one includes a terracotta pot, soil, seeds, instructions and a punny message.
  • Becton’s assistant theater director, Ms. Olivia Wilson, and the Seussical: The Musical cast, is selling chocolate lollipop candy-grams! You can see either Ms. Wilson or any cast member to purchase until Feb. 13.

While spending time with those you love seems like all fun and roses, it’s also important to stay safe and aware as February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month. This is any form of violence or abuse in the context of a past or present romantic or consensual relationship involving individuals between the ages of 12-18. Today, 1 in 3 teens will experience some type of abuse in their relationships before becoming adults.

Please check out Becton’s hallway bulletin board created by Peer Leadership in collaboration with the SAC in support of Dating Violence awareness and prevention.

Becton Guidance Counselor, Ms. Rashid, shares, “More than one in twelve high school students have experienced physical aggression from a dating partner. It is important to know the warning signs, understand healthy and unhealthy behavior, promote positive connections based on respect, trust, equality and safety, understand, build and maintain healthy boundaries, seek help when needed and spread awareness.”

This February, fight against teen dating violence by looking for these warning signs in your own relationship:

• Checking your phone, email, or social media accounts without your permission.
  • Putting you down frequently, especially in front of others.
  • Isolating you from friends or family (physically, financially, or emotionally).
  • Extreme jealousy or insecurity.
  • Explosive outbursts, temper, or mood swings.
  • Any form of physical harm.
  • Possessiveness or controlling behavior.

Becton will also be wearing purple, this Friday Feb. 16, in support of Dating Violence awareness and prevention. For more tips, references and facts, visit: https://www.loveisrespect.org or https://www.teendvmonth.org/.

This Valentine’s Day, it is important to “spread joy and love to not only others, but yourself as well!”

Sources:

https://worldstrides.com