The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Becton Regional Reports Above Average Math Scores, Improvements & Interventions

March 5, 2024 – Becton Regional High School proudly announces a remarkable surge in recent state math scores, witnessing a vast improvement over previous years. These above-average standardized test results in numerous mathematical areas stand as a testament to the efficacy of implemented programs and dedicated personnel over the past couple of years.

Comparative Analysis: To illustrate Becton’s above average performance for readers, we used two simple graphs comparing the school’s 2022-23 Algebra 1 (Figure 1) & Geometry scores (Figure 2) with a sample of neighboring high schools. This list includes high schools such as Glen Rock, Westwood Regional, Teaneck, Ridgefield, Hasbrouck Heights, Rutherford, and Fort Lee.

Score Highlights:

• Becton Regional outperformed several high schools in Algebra 1 in the surrounding area.
  • Becton Regional Grade 9 and 10 Algebra & Geometry scores exceeded the state average.
  • Becton Regional economically disadvantaged & major subgroups students achieved scores above the state average.

Why do some articles/reports present different scores for Becton when it comes to math?

Becton acknowledges that there may be inconsistent data regarding scores in circulation, noting that we cannot independently verify the accuracy or origin of external sources. We caution our readers and community members against relying on inaccurate, outdated, or unexplained data, emphasizing the importance of the source and apples to apples comparisons when presenting or interpreting information.

As an educational institution, we often teach our students to verify information and data responsibly, either going directly to the source or delaying opinions until verified. This action will ultimately lead to a more responsible and informed decision- the same is true for our community members.

Moreover, Becton Regional is a one-high school district. When reviewing data, the Department of Education includes a TOTAL SCHOOL DISTRICT (K-12) into its math reports. This aggregation method has several flaws to it. For one, comparing Becton Regional High School, a 9-12, to other school districts (K-12) that include their middle school math scores in their averages, creates a disadvantage for Becton, which only focuses on its 9-12 scores.

Why does this matter? Middle school students taking Algebra 1 score far better than their high school peers. Only the most advanced middle school math students take Algebra 1 and thus the Algebra 1 test. This would be similar to comparing Becton to a school that accepts only the most advanced students. Becton educates, and tests, ALL students, regardless of ability or disability and ALL TESTS count towards our scores. As a matter of fact, there isn’t one comprehensive high school in the state of New Jersey that scores better than any middle school with respect to Algebra 1 state testing. Therefore, while the best indicator of Becton’s success is comparing students’ scores to themselves, over time, – at the very least, a comparison to high schools with similar demographics and without the inflated middle school scores, is far more credible and accurate.

Strategic Interventions: Becton credits its success to strategic interventions implemented over the past few years, including the addition of five highly qualified math teachers and a Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction. In addition, Becton has been working with national experts such as Dr. Eric Milou, a
distinguished professor, author, and recipient of the prestigious Max Sobel Award for Outstanding Service and Leadership in Mathematics Education. Dr. Milou assisted in helping Becton review and update curriculum as well as utilizing Savvas AGA online textbooks to ensure alignment with NJSLS curriculum standards. An added curriculum review is underway for the Fall 2024 implementation of new NJSLS Math standards. Last, but not least, the use of LinkIt Benchmarks for growth measurement, a new SAT Prep program, a high-impact after-school tutoring program, and a strong focus on student growth objectives and professional development plans have all aided to the improvement of state NJSLA math scores.

Holistic Academic Progress: While this report delves into math achievements, Becton Regional’s overall academic progress is evident in over 95% graduation rates, diverse college course offerings, a new quality SAT Prep program, and a rapidly growing National Honor Society.

Future Focus: As Becton continues its pursuit of excellence, the proposed Becton Evolution referendum places a major emphasis on STEM education, aligning mathematics with real-world critical thinking, strategizing, creative thinking, problem finding and problem-solving skills to better prepare students for the analytical challenges of the future. Link to More Information: https://bectonevolution.com/

The pandemic has caused learning gaps of epic proportions and Becton is proud of the efforts undertaken that have led to the overall dramatic academic success, particularly in the area of mathematics. Most importantly, we congratulate our entire staff and administration, especially our teachers, for this tremendous academic progress.