The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

After Significant Public Input, Becton Regional High School District Advances STEM, Trades, Special Education, and Facility Improvements with Three Bond Proposal Questions

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ — The Becton Regional High School District proudly announces a significant step forward in enhancing the educational environment for students at Henry P. Becton Regional High School in 2024.

After nearly two years of conducting community meetings, surveying the residents and students of Carlstadt and East Rutherford to determine what physical school improvements and educational programs the public wants to see, the District Board of Education, on December 20th passed a resolution authorizing three bond proposal questions that will be presented for consideration in a special election on March 12, 2024. The design and question options of the new project were selected by a committee of over 30 community leaders and stakeholders who are presenting a fiscally feasible question 1 option that is nearly half the cost of the original proposal, but still keeps the major programmatic components intact.

Superintendent Dr. Dario Sforza expressed optimism about the proposed questions and improvements, stating, “These proposals reflect what we heard from regional stakeholders and community members about what opportunities they want for future Becton Regional students. I am proud of the stakeholder partnerships that allowed us to engage with the community to hear what they want, and this proposal reflects what we heard. We believe that by investing in our facilities in this way, we are investing in the future of our community.”

After the March 2022 referendum was voted down, the District undertook expansive research and public input efforts to determine what elements of the project the public sees as the most valuable for the community. After reviewing all of the public input, the District and local stakeholders developed these new proposals that reflect the optionality and priorities expressed by community members of the regional high school district.

The proposed improvements aim to elevate the overall educational experience, safety, and functionality of Henry P. Becton Regional High School, fostering an environment that promotes academic excellence and personal growth. The three bond proposal questions encompass a comprehensive approach to address critical needs within the school infrastructure including advances in STEM, trades programs, and special education offerings.

Question 1: STEM, Special Education and Vocational Trades Spaces and Programs
This question focuses on funds to construct advanced STEM labs, hands-on construction and vocational/trades labs, special education facilities, classrooms, bathrooms, offices and related spaces, including acquisition and installation of fixtures, furniture, equipment and any site work. This bond amount shall not exceed $29,453,193.

On its own, Question 1 provides voters with an option that is nearly half the cost of the original referendum that was voted down in 2022. This question option cuts the originally proposed price tag from $58 million to now just over $29 million.

Question 2: New Additional Gymnasium and Safety and Facility Enhancements
The second question includes authorizing funds to purchase property to construct an addition consisting of a new regulation size gymnasium with locker rooms and parking, including acquisition and installation of fixtures, furniture, equipment and any site work; as well as updates and improvements to the existing school facility, including, but not limited to, the replacement of existing gym flooring, sound system, auditorium seating and stage, locker room and bathroom renovations, and various security upgrades, including acquisition and installation of fixtures, furniture, equipment and any site work. This bond shall not exceed $12,774,677.

Question 3: Expansion of Trades and Vocational Program Space
This question allows for the undertaking of various renovations to the annex building located at 160 Paterson Avenue, East Rutherford, including the conversion of the building into various education and technical spaces, inclusive of a vocational and trades program, classrooms, locker rooms and bathrooms, including acquisition and installation of fixtures, furniture, equipment and any site work. This bond shall not exceed $7,000,000.

The total of all three questions is $49,227,870 and the passage of Questions 2 and 3 are contingent upon the passage of Question 1. Meaning, voters must select YES to question one prior to selecting YES to questions 2 and 3 or questions 2 or 3.

The District Board of Education will engage in public information sessions in advance of the March 2024 referendum vote and they encourage everyone in the Carlstadt and East Rutherford communities to participate. Over the coming months, there will be opportunities for community members to listen to specific details of the project, ask questions, and meet some of the professionals working behind the scenes to make this a reality. More importantly, community members will be able to make an informed decision in shaping the future of education at Becton Regional and helping to contribute to the continued success of the youth in our communities.

ABOUT HENRY P. BECTON REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL

The Henry P. Becton Regional High School is a comprehensive public high school serving students and the communities of Carlstadt, East Rutherford and Maywood. The district provided education to approximately 850 students. A variety of subjects and programs are offered in order to prepare students for continuing education or employment beyond high school. Through an expansive curriculum, extracurricular activities, counseling and special services, and more, our school assists each student in developing character and lifelong skills and achieving their goals.