The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Becton Pack Joins in to Fight Childhood Cancer in Annual TCF 5k

https://twitter.com/JODriscoll13
TCK 5k Becton Pack!

Each year, it has become a Becton tradition to join the Becton Pack and particiapte in the annual Tomorrow Childhood Fund 5k. This year, the 5k was held on Oct. 29. Students and staff were encouraged to sign up in support of raising awareness of childhood cancer. Although the original date for the 5k was rescheduled due to flooding, the Wildcats were able to come back, ready to take on the challenge. The event was held in Saddle River County Park, Saddle Brook. 

Physical Education Teacher and Student Activities Coordinator, Jessica O’Driscoll, is the mastermind behind this event. She takes on the task of making sure everything comes together smoothly and promotes the event to heighten participation. 

Security Officer Dominick Parillo, an avid runner, decided to join the race because of the enjoyment of pushing himself in a competitive setting. As well, he loves to participate in events that benefit important charities. Parillo prepared for this event by running 2-4 times a week. He commented on the medal he received for his age group, “It was very rewarding to have won a medal. I had a good race that day. I love running!” 

Teacher, Girls Track Head Coach, Cross Country, and Winter Track Coach, David Dorsey, was also one of the many staff who joined the Becton Pack. He is no stranger to running in the rain, “I really appreciate the Becton Pack having such robust attendance despite the weather. Many could’ve just stayed home, but they decided to support the cause, and Becton, by attending with wide smiles and open hearts.” He was also one of the various winners, and expresses how he felt about his win, “Terrific! Winning is always fun!”

Dorsey also comments on his collaegue and competitor’s win, “Big shoutout to Mr. Parillo. I was absolutely sure I would get cooked by Mr. Geraghty, but getting dusted by Mr. Parillo was the story of the day. Not only does he keep our school safe, but he’s in fantastic shape too!”

TCF 5K Becton Winners!

History Teacher and Head Boys Track & Field Coach, Quinn Geraghty, shared his reasoning for joining the 5k, “I decided to join the TCF 5K because I have spent my life devoted to the sport of long-distance running (as a former runner and now coach) and the fact that I got the chance to run a race with some of my colleagues, for a charitable cause, made it all the more worthwhile.” He opened up about the preparation prior to running in the 5k, “After I finished competing as a collegiate athlete (cross country and track at Ramapo College), I turned my attention away from competing and instead to coaching. However, with the 5k approaching I began running a few days a week to try to not look like an absolute mess in the last mile of the race.” He revealed how he felt surrounding his win, “It was fun going out there and winning the race surrounded by Wildcats! We had a great showing as a school and had most of the top places in the race.”

All of the staff who participated in the 5k this year plan to come back for the following years to come. Dorsey stated, “The TCF 5k is a terrific charity and an opportunity to participate in one of my favorite activities: running a 5k race. Talk about feeding two birds with one scone! The course is at the beautiful, scenic Saddle Brook Park. It is a blast to run around, and it’s flat too! Wild horses couldn’t keep me away from continuing to run the TCF 5k year in and year out.” Geraghty affirmed by saying, “I will definitely be back to reclaim my title in 2024…Can’t wait for next year, go Wildcats!!!” See you there…” 

O’Driscoll took to X, stating, “Thanks to all who came out! Congrats to our Becton Pack for receiving the School Spirit Award! Congrats to the staff that medaled in their age group!”

Becton was very successful taking the gold all age groups. Winners from Becton are as follows: Student Franco Velasco, Mr. Thomas McGuire, Mr. David Dorsey, Mr. Dominick Parillo, Mr. Quinn Geraghty, and Dr. Dario Sforza. Also, a special congratulations to Geraghty for having the best time out of all participants in the entire race!

Thanks to all of those who joined the Becton Pack and let’s return next year even stronger to reclaim our title! 

To make a donation or learn more visit: https://www.tcfkid.org