Happy Teacher Appreciation Week to Our Becton’s Best Teachers!

Becton pupils agree that teachers should be recognized all year, but we also highlight Teacher Appreciation Day and Teacher Appreciation Week. Historically speaking, Eleanor Roosevelt was the first to persuade Congress that we needed a special day to reward teachers for their efforts. After Roosevelt addressed Congress in 1953, Teacher Appreciation Week was established. Rightfully so, as each day Becton educators are not only developing carefully considered lesson plans but are instilling a sense belonging in their pupils. They wake up early to prepare, spend all afternoon supporting their students outside of the classroom, and then they stay up late anticipating about how their students will one day step into adulthood. Teachers collaborate with parents and the entirety of faculty to help children triumph and work magic to convert classrooms into comfortable and safe learning environments. Teacher Appreciation Week is this week, May 8-12, 2023, and Becton students, clubs, and administration are banding together this year to remind teachers that we will listen to them, stand with them, and appreciate them in such a high regard.

Ms. Angela Calasso, advisor of the Freshmen and Sophomore Classes, shares, “In honor of Teacher Appreciation Week, the class of 2025 and 2026 are hosting another Teacher for a Day fundraiser! We are asking teachers to participate by self-nomination. Students will be purchasing raffle tickets to be any one of their teachers for the day on Friday, May 12th. Teachers will be notified in advance who their ‘student sub’ is. Teachers can decide which (or all) class periods the student will teach.”

Administrative Assistant and Wellness Club Advisor Sharon Skeahan also came up with a competitive way to appreciate teachers, “In celebration of Mental Health Awareness month and Teacher Appreciation week, we are excited to introduce a district-wide Step Challenge for the month of May! Go head-to-head with your colleagues throughout the month of May to see which individuals AND departments get the most steps via the MoveSpring app. The top 3 staff members with the MOST steps by May 31st will be able to choose (in winning order) from some wonderful grand prizes which include two tickets to the June 11th Ed Sheeran concert at MetLife Stadium, a 1-year Explore Membership to the MOMA .. and more!”

As for Becton and the administrative team, they celebrate teachers this time of year with a series of special events such as the Peer Leadership Club, run by Sasha Rashid, gifting each teacher a bag of treats and hand-written notes of gratitude by students as well as three entries to a gift raffle to win prizes from local businesses, an ice cream truck courtesy of our Becton PIE association, a coffee and pretzel cart in all faculty lounges, a lunch provided by our outstanding Culinary Department who went as far as providing menu options, a relaxing massage and lunch sponsored by Tri-State Health and Wellness, a delicious breakfast sponsored by the BEA, an all-week-long Jeans Week,  and a final surprise that is yet to be announced! 

Becton students are pleased to support the teachers that support them each day with open hearts. Go thank your teachers!

Thank you to all our Becton’s Best Teachers!