Editorial: 18 Things I Learned Before Turning 18

The following editorial is the viewpoint of the writer only and does not reflect the opinions of the Cat’s Eye View staff, as a whole, or the administration, faculty or students of Henry P. Becton Regional High School

V. Desantis

Noelia Moore, Editor-in-Chief, shares the 18 things she has learned in her 18 years.

Noelia Moore, Editor-in-Chief

The day that nobody was waiting for has finally come; your favorite unknown, high school news reporter has just turned 18. This time (5:03 in the morning, if we’re getting technical) in 2002, the world was graced with the arrival of another nihilistic, introverted Aquarius who was destined to spend her teen years treating every crisis as the end of the universe. You’re welcome. While I fully recognize that being newly 18 means that I still know nothing about anything, there are a few tips I’ve learned over the last 18 years that I think everyone, regardless of age, should keep in mind. So, sit back, relax, and please hold all Gen Z jokes until the very end (yes, I am also talking to the fellow Gen Z’s). 

1. The world is never going to slow down so you can catch up, so stop waiting for when you’re finally ready to live life.

2. The world is not going to speed up because you can’t wait for it, so stop rushing into living life.

3. Everyone is on their own timeline. Some people are taking college courses in high school, and some are repeating 10th grade English. Don’t compare yourself to where others are on the line. 

4. I think there is some solace in the fact that everyone is just a little sad all the time. It means you’re never as alone as you feel.

5. Being invisible has nothing to do with other people not noticing you; it has everything to do with you not noticing other people. You’re only invisible when you want to be, so use those powers for good.

6. Sometimes, you just have to be quiet and let people think they’re right. Even if they’re arguing that 2+4=8. True story.

7. It’s better to be nice and have people think you’re annoying than ignoring them and having them think you’re mean. While it is just a first-grade insult, being mean is one of the worst things you can be.

8. When people say “It gets better,” they act as though we don’t already know that. That’s not the point. What matters is that right now, in this moment, you may feel like crap, and that’s okay, too. 

9. Sometimes, your friends aren’t asking for solutions to their problems, they just want someone to listen to them talk about them. So be quiet and listen.

10. Stop telling people to treat others the way they want to be treated because some of us feel like we don’t deserve to be treated kindly at all. So, just treat others the way Lizzo would treat them. 

11. In the wise words of my fourth-grade teacher, “You see the best things when you look up.” Stop looking down at the floor when you walk or speak.

12. DON’T STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HALLWAY UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO BE MOWED DOWN LIKE A LAWN. SERIOUSLY. I AM TRYING TO GET TO MATH CLASS.

13. Sometimes, we’re scared that nobody cares about us or that we don’t matter. But if nothing you do matters, then you can pretty much do whatever you want. Wear that weird outfit, sing even if you’re tone-deaf, smile at strangers when you’re in a good mood. Nobody cares, remember?

14. No matter what you believe in, sometimes it’s good to pray, even if it’s just to the wind. We all could use an imaginary friend to listen to us hope every once in a while. 

15. It’s better to hand in unfinished work and get a C than hand in nothing and get an F.

16. Forgiving people isn’t about pardoning them for their wrongdoings, but about easing yourself of your anger and disappointment. That being said, you’re never obligated to forgive anyone for anything.

17. The things that intimidate you are the things worth doing. If it helps, count to three before you do anything that you’re scared of. This is what got me through 90% of my conversations last year.

18. Don’t take anything too seriously. It’s just life. It comes and goes, there’s ups and downs. You can’t run from it, and you never fully enjoy it. Just do the best you can with what you’re given. Because it’s over just as quickly as it starts.

I should know, I just turned 18, so I basically have 7 good years left before this whole “life” thing goes downhill.