Lead actors, Gatopoulos & Koch, set to perform school play this winter

The following cast was chosen in early November.

Noelia Moore, Editor-in-Chief

The Becton Regional High School Theatre Arts Program has begun production for the upcoming musical, Heathers. Production of the play has kicked off with selecting the cast for the show, which includes senior leads Victoria Gatopoulos and Tyler Koch.

“I’m very excited to be a part of this play,” said Tyler.

Both Victoria and Tyler have been involved with the school play for the past three years and were equally thrilled to suggest Heathers be the next one. “I wanted this specific musical to happen,” Victoria stated.

The play will differ from previous shows, as it is planning on featuring live music instead of recordings of songs. The musical also takes place in the late nineteen eighties, unlike the past three plays that have all taken place in the fifties. 

I’m very excited to be a part of this play.

— Senior Tyler Koch

When asked what she feels will be the most entertaining aspect of the play, Victoria immediately responded with “the characters.” She elaborated on how every character in the play is a unique individual and how each is well rounded. Tyler added that the characters are very relatable to students in high school right now, which will make the production even more enjoyable.

The show will focus on more adult subject matters than what the Becton audience has been used to, but the school’s version will not be as considered as mature as the original. “Something does not have to be outrageous to outrage someone,” Victoria explained.

Both seniors hope that despite the students performing the high school version of Heathers, the production will evoke the same feelings that people would have if watching the original film.

The black comedy film stars Winona Ryder and Christian Slater and focuses on Veronica, a member of a popular clique of mean girls known as The Heathers. Fed up with their cruel and snobbish behavior, she leaves the group to end up dating an outsider named J.D. When Veronica tells her new boyfriend she wants revenge on the clique’s leader, Heather Chandler, they accidentally poison her and attempt to cover up their crime by making it appear a suicide. Once Veronica realizes that J.D. is purposely killing students as vengeance, it is up to her to stop him, while trying to keep peace with the other Heathers.

The exact date for the play has yet to be determined, but it will be take place in either February or March of 2018.