GHG empowers females through fundraisers, field trips & informational meetings

Brittany Welsch, Staff Writer

English Teacher Mrs. De Santis and moderator for Girls Helping Girls has an abundance of upcoming events for the remainder of the school year, starting this month with Becca’s Closet. Started by a Florida student, Rebecca Kirtman, the fundraiser has made its way to New Jersey and was introduced to Becton last year thanks to 2013-2014 graduating senior and GHG president, Nikki Dombrowski.

For this fundraiser, the members of the club will be collecting costume jewelry and dresses for girls who would like to attend their prom but cannot afford it.

“Becca’s Closet is our biggest fundraiser of the year,” said the moderator. “Our goal is to collect 100 dresses.”

Becca’s Closet is slowly taking the nation by storm with 34 out of 50 states, nearly 70 percent of the country, participating in the dress drive.

Also, on March 25, Girls Helping Girls will be inviting Caitlin Eckert, an employee of Healing Space located in Bergen County, to come back to Becton to speak about sexual violence for Sexual Violence Awareness Month in April.

Furthermore, the speaker will be returning once again on April 16 to introduce the Clothesline Project to our school. The Clothesline Project helps promote domestic violence awareness. Throughout the project, victims of domestic violence made shirts to express what they went through during the time so their message can empower other people who may also be experiencing it. All clothing will be displayed in the cafeteria during lunchtime and Caitlyn will be present to answer any questions that students may have regarding violence.

Finally, on April 17, seven members of the club will be visiting a soup kitchen in Garfield. During their visit to Meals with a Mission, they will be helping prepare meals for the less fortunate.

Employees of the YWCA Bergen County healingSPACE will be holding the Clothesline Project at Becton on April 16 to promote domestic violence awareness.