The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Becton’s New National English Honor Society

Bectons New National English Honor Society

Calling all English aficionados! If you have a special knack for language arts, the National English Honor Society is for you! It is a new honor society at Becton headed by Mrs. Valente and Dr. DeSousa.

Advisor Valente, shares her goals for the society, “With the establishment of the Epilogue Chapter of the National English Honor Society, we hope to foster the immediate benefits of affiliation including academic recognition, scholarship and award eligibility, and opportunities for networking with others who share enthusiasm for, and accomplishment in, the language arts.”

Similar to the National Honor Society, there are pillars of the NEHS. The three pillars of the NEHS are duty, service, and honor. The membership requirements are similar to other honor societies, in that they only accept juniors and seniors. The unweighted average for Language Arts must be 93 or above for all three years at Becton so far. There is also an essay requirement to demonstrate your knowledge and skills in the subject.

There are many honor societies at Becton already such as National Honor Society, Math Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, and Italian Honor Society, but this is the only one designed to recognize achievement in the field of English Language Arts. Some of the skills that are required to excel in this subject consistently are reading and writing skills, as well as critical thinking and analysis skills.

According to Dr. DeSousa, there has been great interest in the National English Honor Society. About 30 students have completed applications. There is no limit to the amount of applicants being inducted at this time. The deadline for submission of applications is October 31st. Once applicants are selected, there will be an induction ceremony; however, the date has not been decided yet.

In the future, the inaugural members can expect many exciting events during the school year. Dr. DeSousa says, “We will establish our purpose and how we want to benefit the larger Becton community. We want to create leadership positions for students to fill with specific roles and create a calendar of activities that will promote English and literacy in the community.”