Kaszka, Koch wrap up 4-year theater career at Becton

Seniors Tyler Koch and Lauren Kaszka played the roles of Lyle Fagioli and Mia Dicarlo in this year’s play.

Jilian Kaszka, Staff Writer

Becton’s Theatre Arts Club performed Ken Ludwig’s Midsummer Jersey in the JW-PAC on April 27 and 28, and leads of the play, Lauren Kaszka and Tyler Koch, feel ‘bittersweet’ in regard to completing their last school production.

Under the direction of Ms. Connie Avila and Ms. Jackie Galella, the actors performed a blend of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream with 2010 Jersey-styled characters. Using poetry and comedic lines, the cast members conducted a hilarious show.  

I’ll miss acting with my best friend Tyler.

— Lauren

“It was a bittersweet feeling performing in my last show. I’ll miss performing on the Becton stage and acting with my best friend Tyler,” stated Lauren.

“It’s sad to let go of something I’ve been a part of since freshman year, but I’m also happy to be moving on to other things in college,” added Tyler.

Both seniors have played a role in Becton’s plays, A Tough Act to Follow, Little Shop of Horrors and Grease, since 2015.

The cast of characters in Midsummer Jersey

The senior cast members also mentioned that all of the students in the play worked extremely well together. “I met a lot of new people, and it was also an honor working with people I have previously collaborated with,” Tyler stated.

Furthermore, the actors in the play all worked hard to bring their character to life. “Personally, I had so much fun portraying my character, Mia, because I can relate to her so much,” said Lauren.

As for the future, Tyler Koch will be attending Bergen Community College and majoring in theatre arts. “I want to further my education and advance my skills in theatre to one day become a better actor.”

In addition, Lauren will be attending Montclair State University with a minor in theatre. “Although I’m majoring in education, I will never give up my love of theatre arts.”