Ms. Klamerus attends SNAP conference; brings anti-smoking club idea to Becton

Photo Credit: Victoria Cruz

Ms. Klamerus says she wants to inspire students to “become more independent in their school environment and help younger students.”

Patrick Cao, Editor

Becton’s student assistance coordinator, Ms. Klamerus, attended the annual Statewide Narcotics Action Plan conference on October 19. Also known as SNAP, the conference invites school personnel from Bergen County to discuss the issues of drug use in adolescents and its possible prevention.

During the conference, a Students Against Destructive Decisions representative from Park Ridge High School spoke about the benefits of the SADD program and how it allows students to openly talk about issues with drug use, most popularly with smoking, in the form of a school club.

“I believe it is a wonderful program that students may actually like to join. First off, it would allow shy students dealing with drug-related issues or who know somebody struggling with drug abuse to be more open and discuss their problems in a safe environment,” said Ms. Klamerus. She then added, “I also think students may be interested in the program since it would look great on their transcripts.”

When asked if Becton would consider having a program or a club such as SADD available for students, she answered, “I really don’t see why not. Personally, I believe smoking especially has increased in teens in general because we don’t educate them enough on the issue, so maybe having a club or a program like this is worth mentioning at the next board meeting.”

Senior Matthew Jimenez stated, “A club like this sounds like a pretty good idea. Coming from Union City, I have seen plenty of people our age that still smoke. Even though I won’t be here next year, I really hope this club becomes something because I would have joined it if it was offered.”

Meanwhile, Junior Dakota Boyd said, “I think a club like this makes a lot of sense, especially for today. I believe students my age and even younger ones should have some sort of guidance when talking about drugs.”

The SNAP conference began in 1991, and since then, it has been held annually as an opportunity for law enforcement to inform educators about current adolescent issues.