The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

There’s a “Who” in Becton! Seussical: The Musical

“Seussical: The Musical” banner

Did you hear? There’s a “Who” in Becton!

This spring, Becton Regional’s Theater Program introduces Seussical: The Musical! 

Becton Math Teacher, Ms. Olivia Wilson, is the program’s Assistant Director, and the new Director is Mr. Gregory Liosi– who works at the Hackensack Performing Arts Center. Both directors are working together to bring something new to the stage! “I want to give the students at Becton the real world, musical experience,’” says Mr. Liosi.

As a former freelance director in New York City for three years, a graduate of American Academy of Dramatic Arts and New Jersey City University, as well as a former Broadway production assistant for 5-6 years, Mr. Liosi’s resume and experience directing all levels of play production is nothing to “sneetch” at. 

“Our new and improved theater program will give students more accountability and stability,” expresses Ms. Wilson. While in school, the school plays were the “highlight of every year” to her. As for Seussical, she believes that it holds the fun and classic Dr. Seuss whimsy that people of every age can enjoy, including some future Wildcats who may discover a new passion or interest during the show.

“There’s not a person alive who didn’t grow up reading a Dr. Seuss book or seeing a Dr. Seuss movie!” Mr. Liosi indulged. “These characters in these stories are a part of all of our lives. I think it’s a good show to start us out.”

Next year, the theater director’s hope is to be able to incorporate more shows– both plays and musicals. In the coming years, they look to add in some acting classes where students can learn monologues, different acting techniques, acting and theater disciplines, audio, and lighting.

Every actor, singer, dancer or musician is welcome! With about twenty-five students lining up for the auditions that took place before Christmas break, everyone was able to get a role. Rehearsals started near the end of January, and at this point, they have more than half the show down!

“I think our directors are really on task,” shares junior Sonal Shahani, who plays one of the three Bird Girls. In reference to the new program, Shahani expresses, “It is a really big shift in what we used to have. I feel more comfortable, more directed, in a way– I think we can all be a very organized and teamwork-based crew.”

Having done this show before and loved it, Shahani is enthusiastic about getting to share the interactive, fun and colorful nature of it to fellow Wildcats; past, present, and future.

Join the Seussical cast on April 5, 6, & 7 for their big performances, where imagination meets a standing ovation!

Seussical cast list:

• Horton: Steven Borntrager
  • The Cat in The Hat: Abby Large
  • Jojo: Sara Pareja
  • Gertrude: Savanah Sarden
  • Sour Kangaroo: Julie Estrada
  • Bird Girls: Sonal Shahani, Kaelen Acosta, Miah Hodge
  • General Ganges Kahan Schmitz: Matthew Perez
  • Mr. Mayor of Whoville: Elijah Davis
  • Mrs. Mayor of Whoville: Kayla Rivera
  • Mayzie La Bird: Monica Rodriguez
  • Wickersham Brother or Cousins: Simon Colorado Pulgarin, Lucas Liosi, David Forero Rodriguez
  • Judge Yertle the Turtle: Veronica Isky
  • Citizens of Whoville/Fish Puppets/Circus People: Alison Przekupowski, Kalie Ramirez
  • Jungle Creatures/Hunters/Circus People: Cadence DiNapoli