The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

February Artist of the Month: Jeanise Hall

Becton Regional’s February Artist of the Month has been chosen as junior Jeanise Hall! Hall’s art style is self-described as “systematically strange.” She keeps things neat but stays true to her creative nature, and that uniqueness is precisely what Mr. Edward Donovan, Hall’s Cultural Art teacher, observed through her work. “Almost every detail in Jeanise’s artworks is intentional,” he explains, “she doesn’t leave much up to chance or happenstance.”

The process of selecting the recipient of Artist of the Month includes consulting all art teachers, Mrs. Dawn Savincki, Mr. Edward Donovan, Mrs. Rachel Lennon and Mr. Mitchell Martinez. They conclude who exemplifies what it means to be the Artist of the Month.

In his own students, Mr. Donovan looks for “a combination of success and ongoing work ethic when selecting an Artist of the Month. I want that student to have something to show off to their peers – something that they’re proud of.” He saw these features in Hall, and she represents these attributes because her heart is in the work, as she attests, “I make art because I enjoy doing it in my downtime,” she explains, noting, “I draw fairly often even if it’s not a large project; however, I would say it’s less of a career choice and more of a favorite hobby of mine.”

Mr. Donovan compliments, “Jeanise has reached a level of skill where she may become content with what she can do and not bother to learn any more, but she still continues to work hard and learn new skills, new techniques, and develop new understanding of how art can be used and applied in her life.” He attests that she is intensely aware of the time that she has within the period and makes a large effort to always finish her work, no matter if she needs to complete it during her down time.

Hall closes off with, “I will completely continue on with my passion for art. Although I am not pursuing it as a career, it’s still something I deeply enjoy and will never stop doing.”

Congratulations on this achievement, Jeanise! Her work can be viewed within the display case in front of Becton’s PAC Center.