The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October is celebrated as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The first ever breast cancer awareness event took place in October of 1985, with its initial inspiration dating back to 1979. In 1992, peach was the original color associated with breast cancer awareness. However, the Susan G. Komen Foundation was the first to introduce the use of pink for breast cancer awareness, and since then, pink has become synonymous with the cause. It is worth noting that while Susan G. Komen popularized the pink ribbon, the idea of using a ribbon to symbolize breast cancer was actually conceived by Charlotte Haley. The introduction of the pink ribbon by Susan G. Komen Foundation has had a significant impact on raising awareness for breast cancer globally. Today, the pink ribbon has become an iconic symbol not only of the disease itself but also of the ongoing efforts to support those affected by breast cancer.

Girls’ Soccer showing their Breast Cancer Awareness support in their pink uniforms.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is important because people should honor and support those who have fought through the disease and are still fighting. According to one of our Becton students, “Breast Cancer Awareness Month is important because it raises money to help fund the research for a cure. Additionally, many people are affected by it everyday, some without even knowing it.”

Breast Cancer Awareness Month, observed every October, plays a crucial role in educating people globally about the significance of early detection and treatment of breast cancer. By highlighting the importance of regular screenings and promoting a better understanding of the disease, this awareness campaign aims to empower individuals to take proactive steps towards their breast health.

Becton cheerleader Breast Cancer Bows.

There are many ways you can raise awareness for breast cancer. A Becton student states, “You can always wear pink ribbons, donate to research fondations, and conduct external research.”

Becton has many approaches to raise awareness for Breast Cancer. Some of the Becton students say that Becton raises awareness by hosting spirit weeks with days dedicated to breast cancer awareness, dedicating games and uniforms to “pink-outs”, making announcements, and speaking on the topic in our school news reports. We also have bake sales led by clubs like Girls Helping Girls run by Mrs. Maka, and hold fundraisers such as Cat’s For a Cause, which supports Breast Cancer Awareness. Donate here!

National Honor Society fundraising for Breast Cancer Research.

It was discovered that a significant number of Becton students had a family history of breast cancer, with some mentioning their mothers and grandmothers as affected individuals. This highlights the prevalence of this disease within their families and underscores the importance of raising awareness and providing support for those impacted.

Becton student vulnerably shares, “My mom had a tumor removed and her surgery prevented her from being able to walk and even speak for several days. This experience made me very grateful to have my mom and taught me how important self-screening and doctors visits are. My mom often neglects her own needs to help others and is a very selfless person, but this experience showed me how important it is to be there for her as well and how much she truly does.”

Boys’ Soccer showing their Breast Cancer Awareness support in their pink and black uniforms!

Being a breast cancer survivor is a success story that should be celebrated for the showing of bravery through this excrutiating process. It is a testament to their resilience and determination in the face of adversity. These survivors have fought through countless medical treatments, emotional struggles, and physical challenges, emerging stronger on the other side. Their journey serves as an inspiration to others facing the same battle, reminding them that they are not alone and that there is hope. Celebrating these survivors not only acknowledges their personal triumphs, but also raises awareness about breast cancer and the importance of early detection and treatment.

Let us honor all survivors, even those who fought and unfortuantely lost, as their courage and perseverance is inspiring and empowering to those battling the disease.

Sources:

https://blog.hocking.edu/how-did-october-become-national-breast-cancer-awareness-month