Ms. Klamerus chairs 3-day workshop to “empower” others

The ASAP-NJ conference took place in February in Princeton, NJ.

Patrick Cao, Editor

Becton’s Student Assistant Counselor, Ms. Klamerus, coordinated, organized and led the annual Association of Student Assistance Professionals conference at the Marriott in Princeton, NJ. The goal of the three-day event is to allow mainly student assistance professionals a chance to network and develop as educators.

During the informational event, Ms. Klamerus had her hands full between arranging over fifty workshops and shaking hands with attendees from all over New Jersey. Guests that participated in this year’s conference ranged from a multitude of professions such as student assistant counselors from other school districts, private practitioners, mental health professionals and school administrators.

“The whole conference and the plans attached with it involved a lot work,” said the SAC counselor.

With this year’s theme being We EMPOWER, the Becton educator, along with the other participants, centered discussions mostly around aiding today’s youth through the long and rigorous journey of adolescence. The conference also honed in on celebrating and recognizing the change and growth of the workforce. Workshops also addressed the needs and solutions for teens who are in need of help with prevention, intervention and treatment. 

Pullquote Photo

It was definitely worth it.

— Ms. Klamerus

Further topics being discussed were the reaping cost of drug use, preventing and treating physical and mental abuse and even understanding the modern-day teenager.

Also in attendance were two keynote speakers such as musician, actress and cancer survivor Anita Hollander and motivational speaker, artist and actress Terri Muuss.

“From what I heard and saw at the conference, it was a major success through and through because there was a major amount of positive feedback from the experience,” stated the Becton counselor. “I can say I’m very proud of how it came out. It was definitely worth it.”