Students Welcome Back Mrs. Kochik

Students Welcome Back Mrs. Kochik

Students found themselves in a unique situation this year when a maternity leave absence from Mrs. Kochik allowed them to start the year with her in September, and still finish the year with her in April. The two transitions during the year required students to be on their toes, but most seemed appreciative that they’ve gotten to experience two great teachers in one year.

Mrs. Kochik’s return in April from her leave was certainly the cause of a band of mixed feelings with her students; on one hand, students are excited for the return of Mrs. Kochiks’s teaching method and lesson plans, but some of them will also miss her temporary replacement, Mr. Hawkins.

Students have been missing Mrs. Kochik from when she left in November, but also her style of teaching. Sophomore Rafael Kuc stated, “The class seems to go by more smoothly and quickly, probably because I was so accustomed to her style of teaching before she left.” Fellow classmate, sophomore Luke Mafia, also enjoys her teaching for the same reason by stating, “It just feels right. Like how it used to be in the beginning of the year.” It seems that students truly like her method of teaching, describing it as “direct” and “fast.” Kuc and Mafia have expressed that it feels like order has been restored in class, and they are glad to have Mrs. Kochik back.

While her teaching is superb to many, other students have also grown accustomed to Mrs. Kochik’s temporary replacement, Mr. Hawkins. Sophomore Michael Botros enjoys Mr. Hawkins’ style of teaching and states that “The way that he teaches is simplistic and easy to understand.” Botros also claimed that Mr. Hawkins’ lesson plans are in-depth and intricate, allowing students to have a better understanding of the lesson being taught. Sophomore Austin Kim made a different comment about the teaching style of Mr. Hawkins, which was that he taught basic programming with computers while still relating it to each lesson. As Kim stated, “It was good to learn something new that wasn’t just on paper.” Ultimately, sophomore Rebecca Collette sums it up best by stating: “Though Mr. Hawkins and Mrs. Kochik are both good teachers, it is more the transition of the way I’m being taught that is going to be an experience.”