The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

The Cat's Eye View

Samantha Joseph Recognzied by NJSIAA: National Girls and Women in Sport Day

Becton’s very own, Senior Samantha Joseph, was recognized from the NJSIAA for National Girls and Women in Sport Day. 

Joseph describes the moment she found out about the award as, “I was really shocked. I was excited to be able to represent Becton and be one of many who also received this award.”

Ms. Giancaspro, Athletic Director and Supervisor of Athletics & Extracurricular Activities & Physical Education, was the one who submitted Joseph for the award. Joseph plays three separate sports throughout the school year: basketball, soccer, and softball. She explains that “Being a three sport athlete can be very stressful at times. I get through it by focusing on one sport at a time!”

Joseph’s coaches share some words on her accomplishment. Softball coach, Joseph Coffaro, expresses, “Samantha is a true leader! I have had the privilege of coaching her the last three seasons. Going into her senior year, we expect the same results from her. Sam is a terrific role model for our younger players to look up to. Samantha is also a three sport athlete which in today’s world is very difficult to do.” Similarly, Soccer Coach Lenny Lewandowski echoes Coffaro, “Sam is a talented and versatile soccer player. She is determined and dedicated and is highly coachable. In addition, being a three sport varsity athlete is hard work and Sam makes it look easy!” Finally, Basketball Coach Mike Ryan shares, “I’m always proud when one of my athletes wins an award. Sam is a three sport athlete who takes her athletics and academics seriously. She is the ultimate team player and deserves everything that’s awarded to her. I am lucky to have Sam as a part of my program.”

Samantha’s mom, Dina Joseph, paraprofessional who also works at Becton, shares her excitement, “I am beyond proud of Samantha for receiving the NJSIAA certificate! It’s such a great accomplishment to stand out as a Becton Athlete. Being a Becton Alumni myself, it is such an honor for my daughter to be chosen for such an athletic accomplishment. Samantha is a strong, dedicated, and athletic girl. This award shows young female athletes they are worth it, and their time is too!”

To close off, Joseph gives advice to other athletes, “Take it one season at a time!” Congratulations Samantha, from everyone here at Becton.