Review: Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is simple fun.

The following editorial is the viewpoint of the writer only and does not reflect the opinions of the Cat’s Eye View staff, as a whole, or the administration, faculty or students of Henry P. Becton Regional High School.

Anthony Berrios, Staff Writer

With DC being on an exceptional movie streak with Shazam and Joker, Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is keeping it going. Birds of Prey has some plot holes and the story is a bit all over the place, but the action makes up for it. This is a movie that you see to have fun, not to over-analyze the script (by Christina Hodson). So if you are looking for a good time at the theatre, and are willing to overlook the flaws, you will thoroughly enjoy Birds of Prey. 

Birds of Prey is about Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) after her bad breakup with the Joker (the one played by Jared Leto, don’t get confused…there have been a lot of Joker movies lately). She is no longer under the protection of the Joker and with him not being on her side, there are a lot of people who want her dead. 

The movie starts with Harley Quinn intoxicated and mourning the loss of her love. From here, we get flashback after flashback…or are they flashforwards? This part can be confusing for viewers. In one scene, she is cutting her hair. In another, she is punching someone in the middle of a roller derby. Some of these scenes come off as pointless, while others significantly contribute to the storyline.

Next, Harley, while being chased by all of her new enemies, finally comes to the realization that her life is in serious danger when her poor egg sandwich gets destroyed. Seriously, this really happens in the movie and is one of the best parts. 

Then, she is kidnapped by the main villain, Black Mask (played by Ewan McGregor), though the film never gives him a direct motivation for this act. The whole film, Black Mask has been seeking a diamond that contains all the necessary instructions to get the huge fortune of the Bertinelli’s. Harley claims that she can get the diamond, so Black Mask gives her 24 hours to meet this demand, or die. 

During the film, Harley teams up with Huntress (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), Black Canary (Jurnee Smollett-Bell), Detective Renee Montoya (Rosie Perez), and Cassandra Cain (Ella Jay Basco). These other characters range from extremely annoying to okay. 

The movie’s action scenes give you a great look at what every actor has to offer, in the movie. In one scene, Harley Quinn rides in front of a car on roller skates and the cinematography (Matthew Libatique) is amazing. Every character has a unique storyline, which goes along great with the main Harley Quinn story, but not all of the characters are likable or well-developed. Although Robbie might get on your nerves with the very strange accent she is using for the character, you will still have a fun time at the theatre. 

After some noticeable flops from DC, like Justice LeagueSuicide Squad, and Aquaman, it is nice to see them not taking themselves so seriously.  Birds of Prey is in no way the best superhero movie out there, but DC can still make a fun and entertaining movie, and isn’t that what going to the movies should be?

Birds of Prey is in theatres now and is rated R, so underclassmen will need to attend the theatre with a parent or guardian. Parental discretion is greatly advised.