The day’s festivities kicked off with seniors participating in Becton’s first Military Signing Day. (Becton Twitter)
The day’s festivities kicked off with seniors participating in Becton’s first Military Signing Day.

Becton Twitter

Becton’s ‘Commitment Day’ celebrates the Class of 2019

May 3, 2019

Becton Regional High School hosted its annual Commitment Day on May 1, along with other schools throughout the United States, to celebrate the accomplishments and future goals of the Class of 2019.

Following community college as a popular choice amongst this senior class, ten percent of students will be attending Montclair State University. The second most popular school is William Paterson University.  Several other celebrated schools include Kean University, Rutgers University, and Ramapo College. The upperclassmen have also committed to Colorado State University, the University of Alabama, the University of Rhode Island, and Dean College located in Massachusetts, while approximately 10% of the class will be pursuing employment.

I would like to thank…the senior class for bringing their spirit and joy to the event.

— Mrs. Michele Ferris

The most popular majors this year are education, health services, and business.

According to Mrs. Ferris, the Commitment Day organizer and the Senior Class Advisor, approximately 110 seniors will be graduating this June, and the graduation rate is projected to remain steady at about 98%.

Valedictorian of this year’s graduating class is Cindy Muco, who will be attending Colorado State University, and the salutatorian is Alyssa Lesho, who will be attending the University of Delaware.

The day’s activities at Becton Regional High School included filming a Commitment Day video that showcased all of their goals, whether it be attending a college or trade school, enlisting in the military, or pursuing employment. They also designed a yearbook photo spread of the much-anticipated gathering. The high school’s culinary classes provided a majority of the food, and a faculty and staff jean day fundraiser helped cover the cost of any other needed supplies.

This year, a first-ever Military Signing Day was organized to recognize those Becton students who will be serving their country. Those students include Cole Willis, Sebastian Cardona, Kier Alexander, and Matthew Chattaway. 

“I would like to thank the faculty and staff for their fundraising contributions, the many Becton teachers who helped out in the cafeteria, Mr. Maucione for his photography, Ms. Annitti for printing the certificates, Dr. Sforza for allowing the event, Mrs. Settembrino for her assistance in creating the senior commitment video, Phil Caputo and his staff for set up and clean up, and of course the senior class for bringing their spirit and joy to the event,” said Mrs. Ferris.

The Cat's Eye View • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in