Becton’s Theatre Arts Club to present ‘Cinderella’

Monsie Martinez

Ms. Michelle Morell and the Theatre Arts Club perform a table-read of Cinderella.

Members of Becton Regional High School’s Theatre Arts Program will be performing Disney’s Cinderella on April 5, April 6 and April 7.

This year’s director, Ms. Michelle Morell, is impressed with the amount of talent Becton students have to offer. “This cast is amazing!” she exclaimed.

Senior Mikaela Spadavecchia will play the lead character of the show while Freshman Ewan Lee will take on the role of Prince Charming.

Senior Tsering (Jenny) Palzom landed the role of Evil Stepmother while Freshman Tsering (Youden) Shawa is playing Prunella, one of the evil stepsisters. Moreover, Junior Monserrath Martinez will play an evil stepsister named Esmeralda and Junior Alyssa Satter will be the Fairy Godmother. In addition, Sophomore Blaze Grabowski is playing the role of King and Sophomore Amal Akkad Wattar of Queen. Last but certainly not least, Freshman Daniel D’Errico will play the Herald.

The cast and crew of Becton’s Cinderella

Mikaela describes her role as Cinderella to be challenging considering she is the focal point throughout the entire play. The senior has been acting for three years and also took part in the production of The Nightmare Before Christmas this past fall. She defines her experience so far as “really fun” considering she has already made new friends along the way.

The senior was driven to pursue the character of Cinderella because of her love for drama and her passion for acting. “I was really trying to get a good role,” she explained.

Mikaela’s favorite part of her journey as an actress is listening to feedback from the audience. “It’s also always fun going on stage and taking your final bow,” she added.

The lead actress wants theatre to be a major part of her life, so she is looking forward to gaining more acting and singing experience by pursuing acting programs outside of high school.

Moreover, Ewan is also happy to take on a lead role in his high school’s play. The Becton freshman participated in the production of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when he was in middle school and looks up to his favorite actor, Hugh Jackman. He hopes to have a lot of fun this time around and gain more experience as an actor.

Ms. Morell is thrilled to be directing the original 1957 version of Cinderella. Although it is her first time conducting a play for Becton Regional High School, she has been coordinating plays for four years and has been a S.A.G actor for over thirty years.

“My favorite part about directing this play is watching all of the actors become their characters and knowing that I take part in getting them there,” she said.

Along with Ms. Morell, Becton Music Teacher Mr. Moore is helping direct this year’s spring performance.  As a previous high school play director, Mr. Moore appreciated working on Back to the 80’s and As You Like It the most.

“I’m definitely looking forward to bringing back a musical to Becton and having the chance to work with new students outside of the music program,” he explained.