Ms. Calvanico recognized as Becton’s 2018-2019 Educational Services Professional of the Year

CEV Staff

Acting Superintendent/Principal Dr. Sforza and Board President Mr. Monks present Ms. Jonna Calvanico with the Educational Services Professional Award for 2018-2019.

Guidance Counselor and Supervisor Ms. Jonna Calvanico has been named Becton Regional High School’s Educational Services Professional of the Year for the 2018-2019 school year.

“I have had the pleasure of working side by side with Ms. Calvanico for the last 15 years. No one deserves this award more than her,” stated Supervisor of Guidance Mr. Caprio.

Ms. Calvanico has been serving Becton Regional High School for thirty-three years where she has taken on numerous roles and considerably enjoyed her time spent as a former English and drama teacher and directing school plays for 11 years.

Aside from being a guidance counselor, she is the supervisor of the high school’s math, social studies, and science departments.

One of her favorite aspects of working as a guidance counselor is her constant interaction with students. The ESP meets with students regarding their college admissions, academic progress and any other topics that they wish to discuss with a school counselor. In fact, her students are her motivation to perform to the best of her abilities on a daily basis. “I learn from my students every day.  They are very insightful and many of them are wise beyond their years,” she mentioned.

She then went on to note that there really is no typical day as a counselor, which is what she likes about her job. “Every day is unique,” she explained. 

I have had a wonderful and rewarding career here.

— Ms. Calvanico

“Ms. Calvanico makes working in guidance fun and interesting.  She always lends a hand when needed and is very knowledgeable in our field.  She is fair and honest and often tries to guide students in the right direction,” said SAC Counselor Ms. Klamerus.

Mrs. Tabaka, the administrative assistant to the guidance department, stated, “There are not enough words to describe how amazing Jonna is. She is really so deserving of this award. I am beyond fortunate to work for her. She is caring, kind, and extremely dedicated to doing the best for her students. In addition to all of this, she always has a smile on her face and makes the office a wonderful place to work.”

The award recipient is also very involved in the Becton community after hours. One can find her at concerts, school plays, and sporting events because she appreciates when she can watch students being active outside of the school day as well.

A few of her most cherished memories of working at Becton include forming bonds with fellow faculty members. “I have made lifelong friends during my time here,” she said.

“I am so happy that someone from my department won, and I am even more happy that it was Ms. Calvanico.   She has been dedicated to the Becton students for over 30 years and is always looking out for their best interests.  She is an asset to the guidance department, and I am proud to call her my friend,” Mr. Caprio stated.

“Becton students are the best around, and I have had a wonderful and rewarding career here,” said Becton’s Educational Services Professional of the Year. “I have loved teaching and counseling students for all these years.”