Coach Peck has high hopes for 2018 girls track season

Becton athletes already begin to fulfill personal goals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sha-Shan-Yah Desmornes Graham, the only senior on the girls track team, is running the 200 meter against Hasbrouck Heights.

Sarah Bourouf and Noelia Moore

The Becton Girls Track Team has successfully begun the 2018 season under the leadership of second-year coach Mr. Marc Peck.

With a team that has already been able to score in almost every event, Coach Peck believes that this group of girls is much more diverse than last year’s team. “With a young team, we are working on building future leaders who can fill the big shoes we will lose this year,” he said. He anticipates that all his junior and senior players will do well this season. “I like coaching track because it’s the most diverse sport due to the variety of events, from throwing to running distance.”

Junior Lisa Squeo recently won both of her throwing events and contributed 18 points towards the team’s overall victory against Immaculate Conception, St. Mary’s High School and Wood-Ridge High School. She also placed third in the javelin and second in the discus in her recent meet against Hasbrouck Heights High School. Lisa participated in track during her freshman year, and her favorite part of the sport is throwing the javelin. “My goal for the season is to break the school record. I am about six feet away, and I am working harder than I ever have in previous seasons,” said the Becton athlete. She is also considering pursuing a track career in college.

Junior Safa Hassan, who is also a thrower, has been participating in track since her freshman year. This year, she achieved a personal record of 20.8 feet for throwing shot put. “I did track for fun during my freshman year, but over time, it grew on me. My goal is to get better, and by next year, I would like to try and seek out a scholarship,” Safa said.

Junior Paige Kruse joined track for the first time this year, and so far, her favorite event is the 4×200 relay. “My goal is to triple jump 30 feet and to improve on my 400 meter time. At her first meet of the year, she already earned two medals. She placed fourth in her 4×200 event and sixth in the triple jump.

Last but certainly not least, Junior Alessandra Acevedo began track last year and participates in the hurdles and high jump. During the season opener, her shuttle team placed third and she and Skylar MacKenzie placed fourth for the high jump relay. “My personal goal this year is to jump 4’10” in the high jump,” she said.

Coach Peck stated, “Our biggest strength is our youth, and the students need to improve on taking leadership.” His goal for this year’s team is to win the league championship and the Bergen County Group D Championship.

Upcoming track events include the Bergen County Relay at River Dell on April 20, the NJIC Championship on May 1 and the County Group Championship on May 11 and 12.

About the Writers
Sarah Bourouf, Staff Writer

Sarah Bourouf is an ambitious student who participates in many school and community extracurricular activities. She enjoys keeping herself busy with work...

Noelia Moore, Editor

Noelia is thrilled to return to the Cat’s Eye View for her second year of journalism. A self proclaimed oddball and a lover of all things related to...

• Coach Peck has high hopes for 2018 girls track season

Sports

Ms. O’Driscoll becomes assistant coach for Becton Girls Basketball Team

Sports

Siclari steps up as head coach of Becton’s wrestling team

Sports

Coach Cantatore imparts expertise to Becton’s bowling team

Fall Sports

Korabi & Lesho crowned Homecoming King & Queen

Fall Sports

School spirit and involvement becomes main focus for Class of 2019

Sports

Senior Nuila brings home medal from Down Under Volleyball Invitational

Sports

Becton’s Anderson breaks second track & field record, Henke places first in hurdles

Sports

Varsity baseball players set strong personal goals, credit coaches for success

Fall Sports

Junior Nuila to attend volleyball invitational in Australia this summer

Sports

Becton wrestling wraps up with several postseason wins