Cybersecurity analyst educates Becton females on male-dominated career field

Ms. Laura Hurley, a cybersecurity analyst, spoke to Becton's GHG Club and females enrolled in Mrs. Mackanin's forensics class.

Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst Laura Hurley visited Becton Regional High School last week to speak to members of the Girls Helping Girls Club and female students enrolled in the forensics elective offered at the school.

Ms. Hurley currently works for the NJ Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Cell (NJCCIC) and the Office of Homeland Security & Preparedness.

During the presentation, the speaker raised many valuable points. She stressed being cautious about what one posts on the Internet. “Once your information is out there, there’s really no way of reeling it back in,” she said. Ms. Hurley also explained how important cybersecurity could be in people’s day to day lives whether one is sending an email or downloading an app. During her presentation, she continued to call attention to the education needed for most cybersecurity professions. She informed the girls that most cybersecurity jobs can be obtained with a bachelor’s degree in majors such as cybersecurity, computer science, criminal justice, computer engineering, information technology or computer forensics. 

Once your information is out there, there’s really no way of reeling it back in.”

— Cybersecurity Analyst Laura Hurley

Ms. Hurley continued to add that at NJCCIC there are many internships in the field of cybersecurity. Moreover, many programs and scholarships have recently been created such as the SANS CyberTalent Women’s Immersion Academy, the Women’s Society of Cyberjutsu, Women in Cybersecurity and the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies.

Last but certainly not least, the speaker encouraged the female audience to visit the website cyber.nj.gov. “It’s a great way, if you aren’t too familiar with cybersecurity, to get a feeling about what’s going on out there,” she said. The website provides information such as cyber tips, threat profiles and careers/internship opportunities. 

At Rutgers, Ms. Hurley earned a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice and sociology, and at St. Joseph’s University, she received a master’s degree in both the same majors. She also spent a few years working in Virginia as an analyst for the Child Victim Identification Program.

According to an article entitled “Jobs in cybersecurity are exploding: Why are women locked out?”published in the Hechinger Report, the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that cybersecurity analyst jobs in the United States will increase by 28% by 2026, but as of today, only 11% of women occupy the cybersecurity work field. Furthermore, an article in regard to women in cybersecurity facing an “uphill battle,” which was published on Fortune.com in March 2017, reveals that women continue to earn less than males and typically feel under appreciated at their place of employment.

About the Writers
Jilian Kaszka, Staff Writer

Jilian Kaszka is a sophomore at Becton. She is a part of the volleyball and softball team. During her free time, she likes to hang out with friends and watch Christmas movies. She loves animals and enjoys doing other people’s hair. When she’s older, she would like to pursue a career as a teacher.

Jenny Marcinkowski, Editor

Jenny is a junior at Becton Regional High School. She is caring and very dedicated to her school work. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends and binge watching shows on Netflix. Currently, her favorite tv show is Shameless and her favorite movie is Good Will Hunting. In addition, she enjoys listening to music while doing her homework. Her favorite places to eat are Candlewyck Diner and Dunkin’ Donuts. Moreover, she loves to travel and wants to visit and explore every state. Her favorite  subjects in school are history and English.  In the future, she aspires to major in Political Science and wants to one day go to law school.

• Cybersecurity analyst educates Becton females on male-dominated career field

In Case You Missed It

Seniors Nuila, Kruse, DeCarlo & Squeo selected as Class of 2019 officers

Community

Female seniors share positive experience of Girls’ Career Institute

In Case You Missed It

Safety and disciplinary measures top list of improvements this school year

Cat's Eye View Announcement

Congratulations to the 2018 Prom Court!

Class of 2018 News

Senior Jimenez completes hands-on internship at Becton

In Case You Missed It

Criminal Justice class witnesses functions of county court system

In Case You Missed It

Dr. Khatchig Mouradian presents BRHS students with lecture on Armenian Genocide

In Case You Missed It

SAT/ACT Prep class gets a taste of campus life at Ramapo College

In Case You Missed It

Juniors Spirenkov, Novello & Lee to attend Boys State in June

Cat's Eye View Announcement

Cat’s Eye View receives ‘Site Excellence’ recognition