Becton’s DeCarlo, Nuila & Zuwatsky to attend 2018 Girls’ Career Institute

Back to Article
Back to Article

Becton juniors Lynda DeCarlo, Jaylen Nuila, and Beth Zuwatsky have been selected to attend this year's Girls' Career Institute.

Juniors Lynda DeCarlo, Jaylen Nuila, and Beth Zuwatsky have been nominated to participate in the New Jersey Girls’ Career Institute, which will be held from June 4 through June 7 this year.

The Girls’ Career Institute is sponsored by the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs at GFWC, and the purpose of the annual event is to educate females on matters related to women and give them the opportunity to become aware of contemporary issues.

The three upperclassmen from Becton will be immersed in the “mini college experience” at Douglass College on the Rutgers University campus. While staying on the New Brunswick grounds, they will listen to a number of lectures and attend career-related workshops hosted by numerous professionals throughout the state.

“The chosen females will be dorming with other girls from various high schools in New Jersey, and they are encouraged to interact and bond with these other students to get a better taste of the typical college environment,” stated Guidance Counselor Ms. Calvanico.

“I am honored that I was chosen among the many other people, and I am very excited to attend and gain some experience on living in a college environment,” stated Jaylen. “Attending the institute will not only give me the benefit of learning from various inspirational women, but it will also help me get accepted into colleges that I want by putting the experience on my transcript,” she added.

As far as being selected to attend the event, Ms. Calvanico mentioned that the Women’s Club of Carlstadt visits Becton to speak with the junior girls. All those interested then receive an application, and the selection is finalized through interviews.

“I am very excited about being chosen, and I’m glad that I will be exposed to several careers. We’ve all grown up together, and I believe that the local women’s club made the right choices,” stated Lynda.

Beth added, “It will be a good opportunity to gain college experience before actually going to college.”

“Overall, it is an empowering program for women to learn what other women are able to accomplish in the workforce, and I am very pleased with the selection,” stated Ms. Calvanico.

About the Writer
Konrad Messyasz, Staff Writer

Konrad is into drawing and making art and is able to effectively provide quality in that subject matter. He enjoys playing video games, and he is intrigued...

• Becton’s DeCarlo, Nuila & Zuwatsky to attend 2018 Girls’ Career Institute

Clubs & Activities

BectoBot Valenzuela reflects on their increasing success

Showcase

Becton graduate Matthew Dickman’s legacy lives on through courage award

Showcase

State-of-the-Art Communications and Broadcasting Studio construction to begin in Feb.

Showcase

Wooden plaque created to honor late custodian

Becton 2018-2019 Highlights

Becton’s communications classes tour NBC Studios

Class of 2019

Senior Brizzolara is third to receive Act of Kindness Award

Showcase

Becton music students to perform Winter Wonderland Concert

Showcase

Field trip strengthens students’ understanding of U.S. History II curriculum

Showcase

Nozka, Bolwell & Lesho place in VFW Voice of Democracy Contest

Showcase

Nine new members inducted into National Honor Society