Guest speaker inspires students to pursue a culinary career

Ms. Allie Nault is a sophomore studying food management at Johnson and Wales University.

Safa Hassan, Staff Writer

Johnson and Wales University representative Allie Nault visited Becton Regional High School’s culinary department on January 18 to introduce the school’s Culinary Arts and Food Service Management Program and provide a demo for students interested in a career in the food service industry.

“She was very fun and amusing to listen to, and I liked that she was confident enough to stand in front of the kids. I believe she influenced the kids to chase their dreams and encouraged them to look into Johnson and Wales,” said Culinary Instructor Ms. Marut. Ms. Marut attended Johnson and Wales University where she earned a culinary degree.

Ms. Nault was the first in her family to go to college to become a chef. Her first job was at Dairy Queen at just fifteen years old. She noted that her father was her inspiration for her thriving culinary career. He once told her to “do anything as long as you work hard for it.”

While visiting fifth period culinary class, the guest speaker taught them how to make a pineapple spring roll with caramel jalapeño sauce and a coconut spiced whipped cream from scratch. She told students, “A lot of hard work, dedication, and sleepless nights will lead you to your dream.”

“I really liked her. She was interesting, and the food that she showed us how to make was really good,” said Junior Keila Medina. “The food was great!” she exclaimed.

Ms. Marut also feels that Ms. Nault acted as a great role model for the kids since they are able to relate to her experience. “She was an excellent representative for my alma mater,” she stated.

For more information on the culinary program at Johnson and Wales, one can email Allie Nault at [email protected] or follow her on Instagram @Allienault.

About the Writer
Safa Hassan, Staff Writer
Safa Hassan loves to go outside and eat. She participates in sports such as girls soccer, swimming, and track. During the weekend, she likes to go out with friends and family and explore the state. During the summer, Safa travels to Turkey and Egypt to visit family and friends.
  • Guest speaker inspires students to pursue a culinary career

Showcase

Class of 2014’s Dombrowski receives $20,000 Katherine Wickle-Ochipa Scholarship

Showcase

Student interest in Career Exploration Internship Program continues to rise

Showcase

Becton graduate visits alma mater to speak about military, NASA career

Showcase

Sports Anchor Bruce Beck educates Becton students on broadcast journalism

Showcase

Mrs. Mackanin mimics real-life CSI investigation for forensics students

Showcase

Spanish Language Instructor Ms. Ruiz organizes Multicultural Exchange Assembly

Showcase

Juniors Wojna & Brizzolara to attend Boys State this June

Showcase

School Nurse Ms. Dumansky set to retire this June

Showcase

Culinary Instructor Ms. Marut attends REF symposium

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Class of 2018 Commitment Day