Spanish 3 Honors experiences Off-Broadway production in the Spanish language

The lead actors in La Gringa have feelings for one another.

The two combined Spanish 3 Honors classes offered at Becton Regional High School have visited New York City to see the play La Gringa this past month. La Gringa is a theatrical production based on a young woman who struggles to fit in with her native country as well as her foreign country.

La Gringa is a play that students can relate to because it discusses the idea of being bilingual and bicultural,” said Spanish Instructor Mrs. Sanchez. “It really portrayed the idea of how young adults can experience mixed emotions about being caught in between two separate cultures,” she added.

La Gringa is written by Carmen Rivera and directed by Rene Buch.

Junior Veronica Hernandez said, “The trip was an amazing experience, and it’s something I took personally. I loved it because it’s a situation I could relate to. And for those who couldn’t relate to this performance, it was a look into a separate world and culture.”

The students enjoyed different aspects of the play and focused their attention to specific parts that appealed to them. Junior Kara Mair commented that her favorite part of the play was the cast. “They really put on a great show that was fun to watch,” she said.

Similarly, Math Teacher Mr. Jasinski, who also chaperoned the trip, mentioned that the cast was very talented and played their parts perfectly.  “They were very animated, dramatic, and funny,” he said.

Additionally, Junior Christopher Pontier said that he loved the connection between the family. “My favorite part of the play was when the young woman and her uncle were getting to know each other. I liked that their time apart from one another, and how they’ve never met before, didn’t cause a disconnection of the family bond between them,” he commented.

The trip cost about 840 dollars, excluding lunch, which students paid for once they arrived to the city. Approximately 30 students attended. 

La Repertorio Espanol is located on East 27th Street in NYC.

“Students seemed to understand the importance of the play and behaved appropriately at all times throughout the trip. We are interested in looking into another trip, another play actually called En el tiempo De las Mariposas sometime soon,” Mrs. Sanchez said.